Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set out late last year to create a family heirloom I want to present to my father and can be share with the next family generations.

I selected a Colt 1903 .32 Rimless Automatic circa 1928.
I contacted and commissioned Wayne D'Angelo to provide some nice American scroll engraving. (blue by Ford's)

Before...

...and after

·
Registered
570 Posts
OK, OK..... now I've been thinking about the lil colt 1903..it would be a fun gun to play with,,, but yours, OMG thats gorgeous......
and i"m gonna probally hate myself and maybe get "hate mail" this being a S&W fourm.. But..... that has to be one of the prettiest looking guns I've seen on here....

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Wow that came out beautiful!!! klgasilBRVO welldone

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
mickey... very tastefully done... beautiful indeed!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow Mickey that is beautiful as everyone said I have one and alway's wanted to do the same to it.If you don't mind what did it cost to engrave it ?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ihfnlllllq - Wayne D'Angelo is 'the' best IMO. His engraving is so smooth, not one chatter line in the engraving!
You get what you pay for. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Mickey, WOW!!! That sure is pretty! I also love the little Colt 1903 pocket guns. They are just so slick looking. Now you need to get that one a partner, say a 1906 Colt pocket 25acp.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Mickey,
SUPERB !
The combination of Fords bluing and Wayne's engraving puts that old Colt 'over the top'.
GREAT gun!
hpzl;n; kljng; kljng; klgasilBRVO
Don

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Nicely Done Mickey.

I am starting a project of that sort myself.... My Dad brought a High Standard HB Military back from his WW2 Navy Service and I can remember the day he sold it to put beans on the table. I was about 12 and had a few adventures with that gun. I couldn't understand why he would sell it.... being a proud man, he never would admit that he needed the cash.

Now, being a Father myself, I understand what he did.

Fast forward 40 years. Last month I found an early Pre-War 4" HB in near mint condition and nailed it.... I'm having the backstrap engraved.... "To Dad, With Thanks. From your Sons and Grandsons".

Drew

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Drew and all.

I'm looking to have my fathers initials scrimshaw'd on the left grip panel and mine on the Right before presenting him the Colt. It will then be worthy of a true family heirloom. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Mickey,

That Colt auto is absolutely exquisite! Your choice of engraving reminds me of the fine scrolls done by Gough and Glahn at the Colt shop in the first quarter of the 20th century. To say that it turned out first-class would be an understatement!

xtm

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Mickey D, that flat little Colt is stunning! The engraving is just gorgeous and very much like the engraving Colt's owner artisans applied to the factory guns. The ivory stocks are very tasteful and scrimshawing them with your father's initials and yours will really set off the whole package.

Can you have someone take some photos when you give it to your dad? That would sure be cool to see!

-Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts