Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this from a man at the show today. He had two, this one and another with a stacked leather handle. After I bought this knife he took the other one off his table and thanked me for deciding which knife he was going to keep. I've not heard very much about them until today. Now I need to find a sheath. James

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Very nice knife, James! It looks like it has a sturdy, heavy blade.

Do you know what the little slit and hole in the blade is for? I've seen something like that on 19th century trade knives, but not on modern ones.

xtm

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea. I can't see it being there for functional purposes. Both knives had it. The blade is 3/16 thick and 5 3/16 long making it legal for carry in our state. The sheath I would like to have made for it would be similar to a Chris Reeve Shadow III. A 'V' shape with belt loops on both sides. Know any makers? Hearn leather used to go to the shows but I haven't seen them lately.

G

·
0 Posts
Very striking looking knife, and looks well made. The grind is attractive and looks very useful. Are the bolsters black micarta?

giz

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I've been told that the little slits on modern knives are for cutting wire. I don't know whether that is BS or not (?) The slits are usually too thin for any wire I would normally run into.

On the older 18th/19th century knife patterns, the slits were used for stripping, burnishing, and sizing sinew for use as thread or lace. Not too many folks do that nowadays.

Giz commented on the grind... I agree. That is attractively done with a thick, sturdy belly!

xtm

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Giz, thank you. The tang is actually inside the handle and it's a band of maroon micarta and white spacers and black micarta makes up the rest. I ran a magnet down the handle to see how far the tang goes in, it doesn't quite reach the lanyard hole.

Xtm, thanks I think your right as this model is called the Colorado Scout. It makes sense, not that I would use it for that either. I just bought some leather lacing at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 for 4yds. James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts