Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have an Uncle who has been collecting firearms since the 50’s. He has a large collection, some of which have researched factory letters from R. Jinks. He is in his 80’s and although not internet savvy, he is done research on pricing. He has asked me to try to move some of the nicer items to serious collectors who would know the value. Is this an appropriate place to try to move some of the collection?
Any advice or warnings would be appreciated. He had a federal sellers license at one time but it has expired some years ago.

Any help would be appreciated,

Doug
Roberts

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
The only rules to follow are be truthful in what's being sold, and you must place a specific selling price with each and every piece.
I recommend stating if the shipping charges are included or not, and if not, state how much shipping will be for each item as well.
That's the rules in a nut shell.

Take very good photos and include as many as you can with each item, and offer to send additional photos to inquiring members, and do so quickly.
I wish you all well with this endeavor. Been there, done that.

·
Premium Member
18,757 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! I recommend getting a copy of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 4th Edition, by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas if your friend doesn't already have it. It will help you accurately describe the guns you advertise. In the description, the condition of the gun is most important followed by the completeness of the package (box, papers, tools, etc.). Place your ads in the proper Classifieds forum, not here. And, consider advertising on the Blue Forum as well.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,618 Posts
...He has a large collection, some of which have researched factory letters from R. Jinks. He is in his 80’s and although not internet savvy, he is done research on pricing. He has asked me to try to move some of the nicer items to serious collectors who would know the value.
Doug,
You can go to the message boards (like here), to the internet auction sites, or go to the auction houses (as a broker-representative). Does he want to sell the entire collection or sell them individually?

It sounds like a great collection that he started in the 1950's up until his last purchase.

In my opinion, he should tell you the specific revolvers that he has (you said he has done his research). You are going to need to list them to any of the above three places.

That list will need a condition estimate, and if it has a box and the other documents (other stuff). This process may not be as easy as you may think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only rules to follow are be truthful in what's being sold, and you must place a specific selling price with each and every piece.
I recommend stating if the shipping charges are included or not, and if not, state how much shipping will be for each item as well.
That's the rules in a nut shell.

Take very good photos and include as many as you can with each item, and offer to send additional photos to inquiring members, and do so quickly.
I wish you all well with this endeavor. Been there, done that.
He can send via post office the 6x6 prints he has made, but I will try to get him to find someone with a cell phone or is computer literate to help him send some digital pics.

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
You will need good sharp properly lit pictures to sell them anywhere online.

If necessary, find someone with the skills and pay them to assist you.

If not, it's probably safer to work through a dealer on consignment, or sell the entire collection through one of the major auction houses that specializes in firearms.

Without a C&R FFL, you'll need to ship interstate through a dealer and pay them to facilitate the transfers. If you ship firearms yourself with a C&R license, you'll find that the costs are quite high.

When you sell a firearm, you must be familiar with and follow all laws. This includes local, state and federal laws. Our site is a good marketplace for Smith and Wesson firearms. You can generally expect to get about 70% of the retail price that a dealer would ask for the same firearm. The rest covers the retail business overhead and expenses as well as the value of their long term reputation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He would want to sell them individually, It would get a bit overwhelming to do the entire collection. right now I have a list of 10 of his best S&Ws - first models, 2nd and 3rds . Rare low numbered pieces.
I have a hand written list Most have something like the following:
SW model one first issue relvolver. 1st,1st, 2nd are numbers 213 - 1130 . Mine is number 1078. all numbers match. 3 3/16 Barrel. spar trigger, brass frame, Rosewood grips. S&W research papers. Shows wear 50-60%

is there anything else i need besides pictures and specific prices? And what are some of the internet auction sites? I was under the impression e-bay did not do guns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he has talked to 2 auction houses -One keeps calling but is lowballing at about 1/3 retail. The other he did some business with- selling shotguns, Not a terrible experience but not a great one either. he would be very pleased at 70%

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He has the catalog- I will post pics when I receive them, along with the description. I put a sample description of what he has written in another reply. What is the blue forum?

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
Been my experience that only an International Auction House is worth dealing with. Having said that I deal with DuMouchelle's International Auction House in Detroit, Michigan and I've purchased and sold rare and somewhat rare firearms there. They give honest appraisals and only deal with principals. Extremely first class outfit.

www.dumouchelles.com

My wife has a penchant for Swarvoski Crystal and I for Kermann rugs and we both satisfy our desires there...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Been my experience that only an International Auction House is worth dealing with. Having said that I deal with DuMouchelle's International Auction House in Detroit, Michigan and I've purchased and sold rare and somewhat rare firearms there. They give honest appraisals and only deal with principals. Extremely first class outfit.

www.dumouchelles.com
I thought you lived in a barn....

My wife has a penchant for Swarvoski Crystal and I for Kermann rugs and we both satisfy our desires there...

My bad. You are obviously a sophisticated consumer of interesting stuff!

·
Registered
13,672 Posts

My bad. You are obviously a sophisticated consumer of interesting stuff!
Never judge a book by it's cover. Bad business.

Keep in mind that I'm married into money as in the Oldsmobile family so I'm sophisticated, or at least play the part well. We dine with the Michigan Governor's family and rub elbows with various upper class folks, all of whom I consider idiots but that's society and I play the game.

In reality, I don't know you and you don't know me except for what we post on this forum.

I don't hold preemptive opinions of anyone.

Reactions: 03clyde
1 - 15 of 15 Posts