Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that people are told that it will reduce the value, if you touch up a gun that has some wear on the bluing. I've had the LOP reduced to 12 1/2" and a nice recoil pad added, to 'fit' me. I've also gave it a boiled Linseed Oil refinish, and the rest of the shotgun is 98% condition.

It's a Featherlight M-37 20ga. in fine condition, but the bluing wear looks terrible, when compared to the rest of the gun. A gun dealer I go to, has one that's older, but considerably banged up from use, but the magazine tube must have been touched up, cause it looks brand new! They want $478 for it! o_O Mine looks beautiful in comparison. ;)

What do you guys think? Should I reblue the magazine or not? What would be the value? I can no longer swing the shotgun properly, due to injured shoulders. I would rather sell the Ithaca......then buy a S&W revolver, or a Sig 365 9mm.. I need advice so I can sell the shotgun for a decent price! Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
If you're going to sell it, leave it as is. If I were buying it, I would want to make the choice to blue it or not.

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hunter, That makes sense to me. The owner said that he only buys used guns, so I won't have to buy anything in a trade deal. But I won't sell unless he offers a good price.Though, I realize that he has to make a profit, too.

Now....I have to wait for the Gun Shop to open again! I hope it's pretty soon, or he'll be history. Bob

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before the shut down, I dropped into the same gun shop. The same Ithaca M-37 was still there....but the price was lowered to $420. We shall see what it does sell for. I wouldn't buy it for 1/2 the money! Since mine is modified, the price could be lower than I thought .......it depends on the buyer. Bob

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I know that people are told that it will reduce the value, if you touch up a gun that has some wear on the bluing. I've had the LOP reduced to 12 1/2" and a nice recoil pad added, to 'fit' me. I've also gave it a boiled Linseed Oil refinish, and the rest of the shotgun is 98% condition.

It's a Featherlight M-37 20ga. in fine condition, but the bluing wear looks terrible, when compared to the rest of the gun. A gun dealer I go to, has one that's older, but considerably banged up from use, but the magazine tube must have been touched up, cause it looks brand new! They want $478 for it! o_O Mine looks beautiful in comparison. ;)

What do you guys think? Should I reblue the magazine or not? What would be the value? I can no longer swing the shotgun properly, due to injured shoulders. I would rather sell the Ithaca......then buy a S&W revolver, or a Sig 365 9mm.. I need advice so I can sell the shotgun for a decent price! Bob
I would have the magazine tube re-blued. It's your gun amde better!?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
No point spending the money to get it re-blued.

It's not worth much anyway with that length of pull and the reblue wouldn't help the selling price much but would be an expensive bother to get done.

Just sell it for what you can get and then go for an S&W.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts