Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked this little Colt Pocket Positive from another forum. It is from 1902 and is 3 1/2" barrel. It is 32 Colt which I understand will not take 32 S&W long or short. Gun did come in custom non-Colt wood box. It was extremely dirty but cleaned up as barrel is spotless and cylinders are shiny. Locks up extremely tight with no movement and very smooth trigger in DA and SA. Has some character on the finish but it is 117. Came with a pair of Ivory Grips and the original grips. The grips are ivory but do have some darker spots. Tested with UV light (bright white) and under magnification can see grains in the ivory. There is a Colt medallion in the box and a paper that states the medallion came with th gun with ivory grips. However, the Ivory grips do not have a Colt trademark button. The Colt trademark is a Large C with the Stallion inside it (I have not seen one like this before so any information here would be appreciated. What I have read tells me the 32 Colt has a "heeled" base and the case is a few thousandths smaller in diameter than the S&W 32 Long or Short. And the Colt 32 is more a "medium" and not as long as the S&W long. This is the oldest Colt I have had and am still investigating some of the items mentioned above. Looking now for the correct ammo as would like to shoot it.

thumbnail21.jpg
thumbnail22.jpg
thumbnail23.jpg
thumbnai25l.jpg
thumbnai1l.jpg

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Rodney,

What a fine .32!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice gun and grips. The ivory grips look like fossil walrus ivory.
Thanks, I agree as others I saw that might be close were Siberian Mammoth. But they were a little darker. I figure the grips are worth what I gave for the gun. Do not think they are Colt issued but they fit perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Very nice. I like those Ivory grips. Is it 32 Long Colt or 32 New Police? I had a Police Pocket Positive a few years ago in 32 New Police. It had a 2 1/2"? barrel, round butt, genuine Mother of Pearl grips that fit perfectly, but no Colt medallion, so I was never sure if they were factory or not. I always suspected they were myself. I suspect the option list at that time was pretty extensive.

Yours is a little older than mine. IIRC mine was from 1912.

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
Fantastic score on an older classic. Looks like it cleaned up well. Range report to follow soon? enjoy!:cool:

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Very nice. I like those Ivory grips. Is it 32 Long Colt or 32 New Police? I had a Police Pocket Positive a few years ago in 32 New Police. It had a 2 1/2"? barrel, round butt, genuine Mother of Pearl grips that fit perfectly, but no Colt medallion, so I was never sure if they were factory or not. I always suspected they were myself. I suspect the option list at that time was pretty extensive.

Yours is a little older than mine. IIRC mine was from 1912.
Just 32 Colt. Which is neither so have to find ammo as 32 S&W will not work. Not sure about Colt issued but could be custom fitted as they are great. I do have a set of MOP on an old Colt Official Police that was presentation to a retiring officer. They were Colt but no medallion.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
image.jpeg Rodney, I believe your colt will chamber 32 s&w longs. My newest old colt is ser # 902xx. It has the sleepy eye colt logo.the barrel is marked police positive, 32 police. It is a 32 long. After I read your post I got a couple of 32s and took them when I went to look at the gun. Here is a pic of the barrel mark. Oh, trade you grips and give $10.00 boot.
Cliff

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The following is from the Gunboard Forum member in 2012. The S&W 32 Short and Long I have will not fit the cylinder as noted and do measure 0.337.
The .32 Colt (short and long) uses a rebated (Heeled) bullet base. That is the base of the bullet is smaller than the bullet itself and the .32 Colt cartridge EXTERNAL dimension is the same size as the bullet. Same thing as a .22LR. The .32 Colt bullets a nominal .313 in diameter and so is the cartridge case. The chamber in a gun designed to fire a .32 Colt is the same size as the barrel.
The .32 S&W (short and long) as well as the various .32 magnums all use the same diameter bullet, .313, but their cases are ~0.02" LARGER externally than the bullet. The bullet fits inside the case with out a rebated base. That means the exterior of a .32 S&W cartridge is about .337 as is the chamber of guns designed to fire them.
Read that this 32 Colt was made as a "medium" length bullet to help Colt resolve a lubrication effort. Then they made the 32 Colt New Police to be the Same as S&W 32 Long as they did not want to readily concede the market to Smith & Wesson for the 32 Long.

Going to be interesting finding ammo. Am investing some resized casings for the 32 Colt so that may be path I have to follow to shoot this little gun.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wiki article on .32 S&W Long said:
When he was the New York City Police Commissioner, Theodore Roosevelt standardized the department's use of the Colt New Police revolver. The cartridge was then adopted by several other northeastern U.S. police departments. The .32 Long is well known as an unusually accurate cartridge. This reputation led Police Commissioner Roosevelt to select it as an expedient way to increase officers' accuracy with their revolvers in New York City. The Colt company referred to the .32 S&W Long cartridge as the .32 "Colt's New Police" cartridge, concurrent with the conversion of the Colt New Police revolver from .32 Long Colt.

As a fan of TR, this is what got me interested, and led to my purchasing a S&W Model 30-1 in .32 S&W Long.

Here is a more-complete and authoritative account: https://www.range365.com/history-nypd-sidearms/
Prior to 1895, most law enforcement agencies relied on whatever firearm was available at that time. Departments didn’t issue guns, so it was up to each officer to provide their own, whether they were a sheriff, constable, or marshal, they shouldered the expense of their own sidearm.

Things changed in 1895 when Theodore Roosevelt became the President of the New York City Board of Police Commissioners. Roosevelt resolved to standardize all the firearms in the department and placed an order for 4,500 Colt New Police revolvers.

This six-shot, double-action revolver was chambered in .32 S&W Long, had black checkered hard rubber grip, and were available with 2.5”, 4”, and 6” barrels. The Colt New Police was manufactured from 1896-1907 by Colt’s Manufacturing Company in Hartford, CT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts