Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old .22 Caliber break top revolver that was purchased and fired back in late 1994. It has a blued finish.
I'm not sure if the residue is lead or copper or both. There are numerous boxes of different ammo around that have all been partially used. Some with copper bullets and some with lead.

The original owner passed away in early 1995 and it looks like it was never was cleaned after shooting. It was stored in a heated Browning Gun Safe so it was kept dry and free of moisture. Everything on the gun is still in otherwise excellent shape, I don't see any oil gum or rust at all. It wiped down perfectly and the bluing is like it was never touched. The action is smooth and tight

The inside of the barrel is a different story. It has gunpowder residue in it that I can't get cleared with Hoppe's and a brass brush after 45 minutes of soaking and cleaning with the Hoppe's and a brush. I can't find much info here on getting the residue to break down so I can get it cleaned out.

I saw 1 comment on using Break Free CLP but nothing else about it. Like how to use it, etc. I've heard that the Hoppe's has Ammonia in it and shouldn't be used for long term soaking.
What can I use that is safe for a long soak that will break down the residue without damaging the barrel? Also, what do I use to remove the cleaning agent as well before oiling it down?
I live about 10 miles from a couple of well known national sporting goods shops, so I'm sure I can get just about anything you guy's recommend.

·
Banned
732 Posts
If it's a .22LR, it's probably a combo of lead, carbon & bullet lube fouling. Try soaking overnight w/ Breakfree, scrubbing w/ a bore brush and repeating the process. If that does not work, try the same procedure but substitute Kroil for Breakfree. If all else fails, there is reverse electroplating such as Outer's Foul-Out which will remove lead fouling down to bare steel. This, of course assumes that the problem is actually fouling and not rust or corrosion.

Bruce

·
Registered
753 Posts
Buy a bronze bore brush, as it will need to be brushed out. A lot of good solvents, but I like that Remington bore cleaner (it's watery with grit). It was found at Kmart or other places. It smells nice and will remove all copper and lead really fast. Use it with the brush.

·
Super Moderator
19,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think I can find the Break Free at a Cabela's?
The Remington bore cleaner too?
I only live about 10 miles away and it is on my path to & from work give or take a couple of miles.

·
Super Moderator
19,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up both the break free and the Remington Bore Cleaner.
The Remington work after about 4 rounds of cleaning cycles.
The bore is clear and shiney now. My wife really liked it because it didn't smeel up the whole house like the No. 9 did even thought I used them all outdoors.

Thanks guys I can always count on you for excellent advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts