Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a Model 66, 4" on Monday and it has some gunpowder residue on the face of the cylinder.
I'm really fussy when it comes to keeping my weapons clean.
I don't even have the revolver yet and it's already driving me nuts. perkgfn perkgfn perkgfn
This is my first stainless wheelgun, and never realized how much residue can be on the cylinder face of a wheelgun from the backblast.
I need to assume it is on my blued models as well. Just not so noticable.
I will need to clean them more carefully too!

I'm going to attach a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

I went to my local sporting goods store and there must be 50 different types of cleaning agents on the market.
As John Travolta used to say "I'm So Confused!!" hipnp
Can somebody advise me on what cleaner to use, and how to use it properly as well.
No transmission fluid please!

Is there a way to clean up the cylinder drag lines too?

·
Registered
668 Posts
The burden of the true OC personality is to comply with the slacker standards surrounding them.

Fortunately, through repeated efforts at remolding my own personality characteristics, I have been able to overcome many of those genetic inclination to OC behavior, and develop a wider spectrum of appreciation for a more relaxed life style....*kaff*kaff*.....

The cylinder face probably will respond to any of a number of liquid cleaners. Certainly I'd expect a "Lead Away" cloth to vanquish those rings. There's another product I can't recall the name of right now....you open the can, tear off a bit of cloth like material, and wipe the part repeatedly....I've had great results with that too.....hobbyists and museum conservators, I'm told, use this old-time product....geez, now I gotta go out to the reloading shed and check it out...

OC is never quite defeated....just rendered into a newer form of expression....

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
I second the lead away, you won't see a speck after that is used. But don't use it on blued guns, it will take the bluing off. Forget about the drag lines, they will always come back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe the product that M657 is talking about is "NEVR-DULL"
I have a can of it here but wouldn't have thought to try it on the carbon..
Will give results with pics on the M686 I have laying here..
Gary/Hk

·
Super Moderator
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody!

M657 & Headknocker, your Never Dull answers slightly amused me.
I just bought a new can of Never Dull about 2 weeks ago to clean some stains off of my washing machine and dryer (they are new - OCD again). I used to use it almost every day at a photo lab I worked at. It is amazing what stains and residue it can clear up.

When I bought it I asked a question on the forum about cleaning some rust off my blued model 19. I was told to never do such a thing because the Never Dull will make bluing come off. With that, I never thought about using it on the Stainless.
When I was told not to use it on my revolver I (the OCD kicks in) I thought it meant NO REVOLVER. Silly me!

I'll try the Never Dull on the 66 and post before and after pics.
If it doesn't work I will get a lead away cloth.
On second thought I am driving right past a sporting goods store up in Libby, MT this weekend. I'll pick up the lead away cloth tomorrow morning. I'll have it ready when the 66 gets to me on Monday.

I'll try the Never Dull 1st so I can report on how it works, and then lead away to see how much more gets cleared away.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I couldn't get any clear pics of the carbon or any after pics without flash that wasn't distorted..
I need a new camera badly BTW..
But the Carbon burns are gone and removed very easily with just a few passes & my fingernail to get close to the center, It looks almost new & this stuff doesn't appear to be abrasive at all, More like wool that's been soaked in Kerosene..
Gary/Hk

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
albert said:
Well heck, the whole purpose of buying stainless is you don't have to clean it.
Tell that to my wife while she's cleaning the outside of the 'fridge,,, again

·
Super Moderator
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Cleaning gunpowder residue from Stainless s cylinder & m

Here is the result of nearly 15 minutes of careful cleaning with the Never Dull.
I spun a couple of little pieces of the Never Dull onto the end of a cotton swab after pulling off the cotton from the tip. I was careful not to rub too hard or in the same place too much. 10-15 more minutes of polishing and it will be ready to get dirty again.
I can't wait !!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Cylinder came just as clean but with better camera skills..
I bet the guys at the gunshows know about this stuff..
Turned a buddy of mine onto this stuff last week to use on his Harley & he instantly started rubbing a stainless 10" Ruger MKII down with it & after 10-15 minutes it looked better than the day it was made..
NEVR-DULL is some good stuff..
Gary/Hk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've been using a soft-brass cleaning brush and Hoppe's, works good. Especially on Blued cylinder-faces. I'll have to get some of that Nevr Dull and try it on my 66(Only SS gun I own).

·
Super Moderator
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys can find NevrDull at almost any hardware store. The Ace here carries about 10 cans as standard stock level. About $5.00 a can and it'll last about 10 years for regular use. The can I just bought was silver and not the regular blue color like in the pics above. You only need to pull off a little bit of the wool and a can of it lasts just about about forever.
The real trick to using it is to pull it apart and rebunch it every once in a while when you are using it. That way you are cycling fresh wool to clean with.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is the Never Dull safe to use on Nickel finishes?

RR

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Guys,
Never-Dull works chemically (as opposed to abrasively), and it is probably the safest way to accomplish what you're using it for.
As with any chemical 'potient', I would remove the dried residue promptly from your nickel finish.
Stainless steel?
Leave it on all year! nfiofnp
Blued guns?
I'm always leery of applying chemical reagents to bluing.
Don

·
Super Moderator
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for the great tips on cleaning my revolver.

I just bought a Birchwood Casey Lead removal cloth and it's amazing how well and how quickly it works. It took almost no effort to just wipe away the lead deposits. I cleaned a friends rifle and the bolt was pretty well leaded, the cloth just wiped the stuff away. It smells like lanolin so it's very pleasent to use. The cloth only cost $4.89 and I can't believe I'd never heard of it before.
I always lived with the lead discoloration. I used to scrub and scrub before.
Not any more. Wipe down easy and I get whistle clean, spit shiny stainless revolvers from now on.

Thanks GQ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pro-Shot Products Metal Care Cloth
This thing is amazing - an over used word, but true in this case. I used small (1" x 3")pieces on an Anaconda and a 629 and it easily removed all the smoke and soot from the cylinder. I had tried Hoppes, Remington Brite Bore, M Pro 7 cleaner, and the Birchwood Casey Stainless cloth. Of all those only the Birchwood Casey removed all the smoke and soot. But I think it is abrasive because you aren't supposed to use it on blued guns.

The Pro-Shot cloth seems to dissolve the soot/smoke chemically and almost instantly! It also worked great on my 15-3. It got all the soot out of the flutes and left the bluing.

I was going to try and figure out what was in in it, but I realized that using 3 square inches at a time this thing will last quite a while.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
gearchecker said:
Here is the result of nearly 15 minutes of careful cleaning with the Never Dull.
I spun a couple of little pieces of the Never Dull onto the end of a cotton swab after pulling off the cotton from the tip. I was careful not to rub too hard or in the same place too much. 10-15 more minutes of polishing and it will be ready to get dirty again.
I can't wait !!!
me can't wait too hpzl;n; hpzl;n; hpzl;n;

House MD DVD Box Sets
Weeds DVD Box Set
Doctor Who DVD Complete Seasons 1-4 Box Set
Mash dvd complete seasons 1-11 box set
CSI DVD set
Boston Legal DVD box set
Star Trek dvd box SET

·
Super Moderator
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about the missing pictures. I moved them in Photobucket and forgot they would fall off the post. I can't add them back in either.

The never Dull is amazing on the Stainless, but the Lead cloth cleaned the leaded dirty cylinder face faster than the NeverDull did. I now use both.

·
Super Moderator
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the Birchwood Casey Lead Removal cloth results, before and after.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts