Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Classic Holster Rigs for S&Ws

21K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  xtimberman 
#1 ·
Post some photos of classic holster rigs for your S&Ws.

I'll start with a basket-stamped and lined Geo. Lawrence #200 "Columbia Hunter" holster and matching belt for a 6 1/2" M-29. This holster rides comfortably high, hangs straight, and has a reliable thumbreak snap. Knife is a late 1950s Puma - same as the Smith.

How about a western-style holster for a 4" M-15? This one is another Geo. Lawrence - a #36 basket-stamped and lined with a FBI cant. Knife is a 3" drop point McClung

xtm

See less See more
#27 ·
Not much left of Shafter after the silver mines shut down, but when they were operational, it lured in all sorts of seedy characters from south of the River!

Drew,

Two very fine treasures! Three counting your son!

That Geo. Lawrence holster is the Model #100. That was a popular holster and one of the few models that they made up in advance to sell in sporting goods stores. It could also have been made up as one of their custom catalog orders. If it was ordered especially for your 3 1/2" pre-27, it will be stamped "529" somewhere on the back. Lawrence had an extensive and complex number and letter system to ID specific firearms and in-house options for their made-to-order items. As an example, if the holster was ordered for a 4" M-27, it would be stamped "532" somewhere on the back. The Lawrence company felt that a 1/2" difference in barrel length merited a whole 'nother pattern to cut from!

If you have a list of the codes, you can ID just exactly what firearm and barrel length a Geo. Lawrence holster was made for.

xtm

#28 ·
xtimberman,
Could you tell me what '528' and '623' would have been made for ?
Is there some sort of chart on-line I could print out for reference ?

Lastly, :D
Does anyone know if the Lawrence #100 is being produced by a contemporary maker ?

Inquiring minds want to know... :lol:

Nice rigs guys !! Keep 'em coming, I need the inspiration.

#30 ·
XTM,

If you look closely at DJ's photo you'll see the fourth classic, his great grandfather's winchester Model 12 from 1921.... it gets out on opening day every year.... last year I passed the torch to him, as he is my oldest son.... his younger brother got to carry his grandfather's Savage double.... also a 16 gauge....

Here are my boys....

DJ and Ryan...

Eric...

I am imensly proud of them and they are the only thing of lasting worth that has ever resulted from the toils of my life.......

Drew

#31 ·
Revorg,

...from the list in my catalog:

528 - "K" Combat Mod. 14,16,17,48 - 6"

623 - .357 Comb. Mag. Mod. & .22 Jet, Mod. 19 & 53 - 6"

There's bound to be a Geo. Lawrence listing somewhere on the internet. If one doesn't appear soon, I'll copy you a list from my brochure.

As popular as the No. 100 holster was, you'd think someone would have copied it by now! I've never seen another holster quite like it - with the half flap and quick release strap attached below.

Drew,

I hope that he appreciates that old 16 ga. Winchester made the M-12 16ga on the 20ga. frame, so those particular 16s are very light and lively.

BTW, Claybusters is now making a clone of the old discontinued WW16ga. plastic shotcup and this has thrilled 16ga. shooters and reloaders - like me! That component used to be hard to find, but no more.

xtm

#32 ·
Have a couple to post Last one is not classic but interesting.

Old West Repoductions for my M 36 3 inch. He is mostly a cowboy holster man but makes a few for modern handguns he likes.

El Passo's street combat for the M 10 2 inch

El Passo's tanker for the M 25-2 45 LC

Another El Paso Street combat but this one is for the Smith 342

And last for the guys that like plastic guns Comp-Tac's Minotur Hybrid It's half Kydex and Half leather. Slide version that holds the S&W M&P 9L & 9C

Boats

#34 ·
This is a Eubanks Leather Holster from Boise, Idaho from 1940s 0r 50s.

This Berns Martin holster is the only one I have without a safety strap.

Roy Baker baked up some of these pancakes and was quite popular in the 1970s and 80s.

In the event we forget the semi autos here is a local artist's version of the Askin Avenger (R. Rice)

#35 ·
Jim,

Every one of those is a classic!

Does your Berns-Martin have a Calhoun, Miss. stamp?

Roy Baker revolutionized revolver carry with his Pancake - easy to conceal strong side or crossdraw, stable, and sat high enough to ride comfortably in a vehicle.

xtm

#36 ·

S&W K-22 with El Paso belt rig originally made for Ruger

S&W Mod. 27-2 in a stamped Safariland Mod.#29 holster

S&W Mod. 624 in a Kramer belt holster

S&W Gunsite .45 in an ElPaso Austin holster/belt rig
S&W Mod. 696 in a stamped Ross belt holster

S&W Mod. 64 in an El Paso Sky Six belt holster
Bob

#38 ·
Hi xtm
Yes it has the Miss. address.
The big difference that I saw with Roy Baker's pancakes was that they were made of much more pliable leather than the usual. They seemed like they would not hold the gun bu did a good job of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.