Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Classic Holster Rigs for S&Ws

21K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  xtimberman 
#1 ·
Post some photos of classic holster rigs for your S&Ws.

I'll start with a basket-stamped and lined Geo. Lawrence #200 "Columbia Hunter" holster and matching belt for a 6 1/2" M-29. This holster rides comfortably high, hangs straight, and has a reliable thumbreak snap. Knife is a late 1950s Puma - same as the Smith.

How about a western-style holster for a 4" M-15? This one is another Geo. Lawrence - a #36 basket-stamped and lined with a FBI cant. Knife is a 3" drop point McClung

xtm

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice! I just got an El Paso Saddlery holster for my Smith 29 Mt. gun and it seems to be a very well made holster also. Takes a pretty good holster to hold up those heavy 29s! Do you have a website link for that holster maker?

#4 ·
Gee Pistola, that is a classic!

Is that one of the recent S.D.Myres made by Dave Duclos in Sweetwater, TX or an older one - made in El Paso?

Charlie,

I'm pretty sure that the George Lawrence Co. went defunct long before the internet - not certain what year. Those holsters are old ones.

xtm

#7 ·
jimbos44 said:
I had a western style holster and belt made for my 29-4 classic hunter 8 3/8 by triple K. they did a good Job. wet molded it and it looks nice
Jimbo,

We'd all like to see a photo of that long-barreled western rig!

Azmick,

Classic doesn't have to be fancy! I was just trying to weed out the holsters made of kydex and cordura. I have a few of those, but just don't consider them to be classic.

xtm

#8 ·
xtimberman said:
I'm pretty sure that the George Lawrence Co. went defunct long before the internet - not certain what year. Those holsters are old ones.

xtm

They were established in 1857 in Portland,Oregon. They ceased operations in 1985 when the last family member retired. The old downtown Portland building,built in 1903,that housed the operation was sold. All of the original equipment belongs to a great grandson who makes creels,of all things.

#10 ·
The only non-leather holsters I own are three Bianchi military flap holsters. Two are for autos large frame and medium, and the other is for 4" K-frame style revolvers. The make excellent field holsters. Everything else I have is leather, lots of leather, but no real pic's.
640 in Galco IWB rig.

60-4 in Bianchi 3S

Ruger SR9 in Don Hume 721

3913 with its Bianchi 19

640 in Don Hume French Curve

64 in Price Western Leather IWB

4566 in Bianchi 3S

sw 66-2 in Desantis(old) Speed scabbard

Ruger Blackhawk in EPS Tortilla

#12 ·
Very snug, rides high, and you don't get beat to death, plus if your packing your rifle on a sling, the rifle doesn't get beat up.
EPS actually called me on my order to make sure that was the firearm I wanted it made for. I guess they don't get to many folks asking for that design carrying a SA.

Leighton

#14 ·
Here is a classic and inexpensive Brauer Bros. holster with a M-21 Classic and a Schrade Old Timer drop point:

Brauer Bros. of St. Louis sold millions of these serviceable holsters. I bought this one for a M-28 back in the 1960s, but it's carried several other S&Ws since then.

xtm

#16 ·
Here ya' go XTM. What I think is classic all the way around. Highway Patrolman in a Galco with a good wide belt {even if it has shrunk over the years :lol: }
and a Stetson that has served me well about as long as the belt.

#21 ·
The K-22 Outdoorsman doesn't look too out of place in this old-style "Mexican loop" pattern holster, IMO. It was made for a SAA, but the little S&W fits really snug and secure in it - especially with a latigo thong over the hammer.

I like to wander around the woods with this rig and a pair of light binoculars. Wolf Ears Equipment made the holster and the stag handled folder is a Puma. http://www.wolfearsequipment.com/index.html

xtm

#22 ·
This George Lawrece Model 120 has been hunting with me for many years. The chopped pre war 38/44 feels right at home in it.

This Colorado Saddlery Carved and Laced is a bit too nice for crawling through the prikker brush but it has accompanied me on many occasions carrying my Model 25 or pre model 27 6 1/2". The gun shown is a .455 second model which I no longer have.

#25 ·
Hi xtimberman,
Yes Denver and it is stamped 1 9 5 2 under that. Mag 6 1/2 is written above the stamping.

Jim

Another George Lawrence is this Texas Jockstrap Model 130 also for the 6 1/2 N frame.

A Heiser model 125 shoulder holster and a nice fitting S&W .35 1913 Semi Auto pistol that no longer abide with me.

#26 ·
Speaking of Geo Lawrence and Classic Guns....

How about a 3/4 Flap and a 3 1/2" Pre-27?

Please forgive the grainy snapshot.... I was just learning the camera that N-Frame Chris had just gifted me....

This pair really deserves better.... the gun was the last revolver holstered by an old pal of mine from Shafter, Texas who retired from the USBP in the early 1960's. He had been running the river in some sort of uniform for over 40 years at that point and his stories were hair raising.... when he sold me this Magnum he handed it over slowly with the admonition, "..... careful of that gun.... it's dangerous.... killed more men than cholera..."

Today it lives a far more peaceful existance on the hip of my oldest son, Drew Jr. As you can see both of these classics still see a good deal of field time.

Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.