Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Classic Holster Rigs for S&Ws

21K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  xtimberman 
#1 ·
Post some photos of classic holster rigs for your S&Ws.

I'll start with a basket-stamped and lined Geo. Lawrence #200 "Columbia Hunter" holster and matching belt for a 6 1/2" M-29. This holster rides comfortably high, hangs straight, and has a reliable thumbreak snap. Knife is a late 1950s Puma - same as the Smith.

How about a western-style holster for a 4" M-15? This one is another Geo. Lawrence - a #36 basket-stamped and lined with a FBI cant. Knife is a 3" drop point McClung

xtm

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Gee Pistola, that is a classic!

Is that one of the recent S.D.Myres made by Dave Duclos in Sweetwater, TX or an older one - made in El Paso?

Charlie,

I'm pretty sure that the George Lawrence Co. went defunct long before the internet - not certain what year. Those holsters are old ones.

xtm

Discussion starter · #7 ·
jimbos44 said:
I had a western style holster and belt made for my 29-4 classic hunter 8 3/8 by triple K. they did a good Job. wet molded it and it looks nice
Jimbo,

We'd all like to see a photo of that long-barreled western rig!

Azmick,

Classic doesn't have to be fancy! I was just trying to weed out the holsters made of kydex and cordura. I have a few of those, but just don't consider them to be classic.

xtm

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Here is a classic and inexpensive Brauer Bros. holster with a M-21 Classic and a Schrade Old Timer drop point:

Brauer Bros. of St. Louis sold millions of these serviceable holsters. I bought this one for a M-28 back in the 1960s, but it's carried several other S&Ws since then.

xtm

Discussion starter · #15 ·
FT,

Thanks for that update on the George Lawrence Co. I wondered about what happened to them. I guess there's hope for some kind of re-start of the company as long as the equipment is still in the family....

xtm

Discussion starter · #21 ·
The K-22 Outdoorsman doesn't look too out of place in this old-style "Mexican loop" pattern holster, IMO. It was made for a SAA, but the little S&W fits really snug and secure in it - especially with a latigo thong over the hammer.

I like to wander around the woods with this rig and a pair of light binoculars. Wolf Ears Equipment made the holster and the stag handled folder is a Puma. http://www.wolfearsequipment.com/index.html

xtm

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Both are great Classic holsters!

I believe that Elmer Keith designed the #120 for Lawrence - very similar to the Myres and El Paso "Threepersons".

Does your carved Colorado Saddlery holster have a city stamped on it?

xtm

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Not much left of Shafter after the silver mines shut down, but when they were operational, it lured in all sorts of seedy characters from south of the River!

Drew,

Two very fine treasures! Three counting your son!

That Geo. Lawrence holster is the Model #100. That was a popular holster and one of the few models that they made up in advance to sell in sporting goods stores. It could also have been made up as one of their custom catalog orders. If it was ordered especially for your 3 1/2" pre-27, it will be stamped "529" somewhere on the back. Lawrence had an extensive and complex number and letter system to ID specific firearms and in-house options for their made-to-order items. As an example, if the holster was ordered for a 4" M-27, it would be stamped "532" somewhere on the back. The Lawrence company felt that a 1/2" difference in barrel length merited a whole 'nother pattern to cut from!

If you have a list of the codes, you can ID just exactly what firearm and barrel length a Geo. Lawrence holster was made for.

xtm

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Revorg,

...from the list in my catalog:

528 - "K" Combat Mod. 14,16,17,48 - 6"

623 - .357 Comb. Mag. Mod. & .22 Jet, Mod. 19 & 53 - 6"

There's bound to be a Geo. Lawrence listing somewhere on the internet. If one doesn't appear soon, I'll copy you a list from my brochure.

As popular as the No. 100 holster was, you'd think someone would have copied it by now! I've never seen another holster quite like it - with the half flap and quick release strap attached below.

Drew,

I hope that he appreciates that old 16 ga. Winchester made the M-12 16ga on the 20ga. frame, so those particular 16s are very light and lively.

BTW, Claybusters is now making a clone of the old discontinued WW16ga. plastic shotcup and this has thrilled 16ga. shooters and reloaders - like me! That component used to be hard to find, but no more.

xtm

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Jim,

Every one of those is a classic!

Does your Berns-Martin have a Calhoun, Miss. stamp?

Roy Baker revolutionized revolver carry with his Pancake - easy to conceal strong side or crossdraw, stable, and sat high enough to ride comfortably in a vehicle.

xtm

Discussion starter · #37 ·
All very nice, Foodfuzz...

The El Paso Austin rig really caught my eye, and the 1911 really looks good in that "westernized" holster - made in the style of A.W. Brill!

xtm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.