Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It states that you are allowed to use a high cap. magazine in your pistol. But, the Mass. State Gun Law says they are illegal to have in this state. So........What's up with that? I have 7+1 mags in my Ruger 9mm. Just curious. Bob

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
What is the definition of high capacity?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The terminology was changed in the 1998 MA GCA, creating 2 different LTCs, one for low capacity handguns only and the other good for any legal handgun. The same law codified the now expired Clinton AWB/mag ban.

So with a LTC-A one can possess any legal mag. The only legal mags >10 rd for rifle/pistol (>5 rd shotgun) are those made before the Clinton ban (mfd on/before 9/13/994). Possession of newer mags is a felony.

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
Sounds like a convoluted mess; how do they prove when a mag was made?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Some mags are date stamped, most aren't. Some have features that ID pre and post-ban mfg. Many mags you really can't tell pre from post-ban.

But they can and have arrested some people and prosecuted them, forcing the person to prove their innocence (this isn't the way the law is written, but this is boots on the ground how it is done).

·
Premium Member
13,669 Posts
I hope that your Federal District court soon throws out this convoluted mess like they did California's magazine capacity bans...

It's done one Federal district at a time until the Supreme Court finally accepts a case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts