Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this revolver for ~7 years and have shot it quite a lot. It's been very reliable and accurate for me. A Cimarron/Uberti is no Colt or Ruger, but I consider it to be a real bargain nonetheless. Lots of gun for the $$$. This is the only .44 Special Cimarron I've ever seen.

I found an unblued Uberti .44-40 cylinder for it and finished and fitted that so I can shoot those cartridges, too, if I wish. I have to load .430" bullets instead of .427" for best accuracy though.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Uberti makes a fine handgun. I believe they are actually under the Berretta umbrella. Had several over the years and can say that all were wonderful handguns that were well fit and finished. At a fraction of the cost of the guns they emulate. Would have no fear in buying another...

giz

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
XT and Giz,
You guys are right on, IMHO!
Fit and finish is better than several 'famous names', and every shoot-report I've read says mighty good things about them.
Don
;)

·
Administrator
8,117 Posts
I've got a Uberti in 44 mag.. It's well made, fun to shoot and looks good. No complaints!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
XTM.

There was one of those in our local shop about 3 years ago that I loved to eyeball and handle. I had the funds together to get it so went to buy. Wouldn't you know, the store had been broken into the day before and was stolen. :evil: (along with many others.) Most were recovered but the theif had filed the serial #'s off most of them so they were all destroyed. :ymsick: :((

I saved up for a year after that hoping another would show up, I ended up buying my first Les Baer instead..... :D

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had been shooting it a lot, and about 9 months after I bought it, the cylinder started binding a little and was hard to turn after firing a cylinderful of shells. I also noticed that the primers were slightly bulged and would protrude back into a dimple around the firing pin hole in the frame. It did not have one of the little hardened discs around the firing pin hole and the thin metal around the hole was being peened by the detonating primers.

I called Cimarron and they told me to send it to their gunsmith for an installation of one of those recoil shield discs - no problem ever since. I've examined lots of Cimmaron/Uberti SAAs since then and have found some to have the shield and some to not have it. I don't know whether it's a later addition or a more recent cost-cutting measure. If you ever have occasion to buy a used one, you might want to see if it already has that hardened firing pin shield.

xtm

·
Registered
276 Posts
XTM, it may not be a Colt, but I don't think you have to apologise for a Cimarron, they are pretty nice guns on their own right. Thanks for sharing. Frank

·
Registered
507 Posts
Like others have said,it ain't a Colt. However,they are identical replicas whose parts are interchangeable with the originals. When you consider the advances in metallurgy,you could actually say that they are BETTER than the originals! ;)
f.t.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fat tom said:
.... However,they are identical replicas whose parts are interchangeable with the originals...
f.t.
f.t., please excuse me for being a know-it-all, but I need to put that myth to rest! :p

Absolutely nothing on my Cimarron will interchange with any part on either of my Colt SAAs! Everything has been metricized, modified, and in several cases improved. Cimarron screws and barrels all have metric threads, cuts in the frame are slightly different, the cylinders have different dimensions, and even a Colt mainspring has to be filed down and modified to fit. They have even changed the flat Colt hand spring to a coil spring by cleverly hollowing out one of the grip frame screws!

I have to admit that when I bought it, I had hoped to be able to use my Cimarron cylinder on a .44-40 1st Gen. Colt I had at the time - so I could shoot up a big batch of .427" bullets in .44 Special cases. No Joy... :|

Cimarron has never claimed that their SAA parts are interchangeable with Colt parts, but I have heard dealers who sell Cimarrons say this in their sales pitch - even after Mr. know-it-all has corrected them! :)

xtm

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thank you for the correction. I guess I'm one of many who fell for the sales pitch. :oops: And no apology called for. I appreciate the info!
f.t.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts