Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going tomorrow to see if range is open and crowded , trying to decide on couple pistols to take . Can't take all will tire out and just waste ammo plus 45 min time limit. Been five months the M10 was the last to shoot have forgotten last time fired M&P and 5906 The high cap mags will go through ammo quick think will be 686 with recent Ahrends and CCW Shield .

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
What do you mean 45 minute limit? Is that from the club or is that self-imposed because of various reasons you get too tired? My club, I can get a private outdoor bermed lane and stay all day if I so desire; my ,ongest time was ~ 3 hours - and that was because I brought my .22s to go along with my handguns.

Reactions: BonitaBob

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
I found out I can’t bring more than about 3, or none of them will get enough use to be worth it.

July, Florida, about 30-45 minutes outside and I’m done. Unless it just rained, then it’s bearable.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I believe that might be part of the COVID distancing stuff. ?? OR that range is so popular that they have to set time limits so more people can use it ???

I know hubby's gym now has a one hour time limit in addition to limiting the number of people who can be in the machines area at a time. At least it IS open now.

For me, an hour at an indoor range is plenty. Outdoors? That's a different story indeed.

To the OP: I'd take the 686 and toss a coin for one other, or maybe two others.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My indoor range is an hour. I have never found I needed more time even if I go with the wife. After a certain number of rounds it's just diminishing returns and wasting ammo for me.

I will say that most often if I am shooting revolver I don't bring any semis and visa versa.

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
I found out I can’t bring more than about 3, or none of them will get enough use to be worth it.

July, Florida, about 30-45 minutes outside and I’m done. Unless it just rained, then it’s bearable.
I go early; but my range in Florida has covered shooting areas and fans. If I want to shoot closer than 15 yards, I have to stand in the sun; so I sit in the shade and shoot at 15 yards

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I don't like shooting indoors. I've done it (.22 silhouette and centerfire bowling pins; very little paper) but really don't care for it. If that was the only place I could shoot, I probably would shoot very little.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Went through 100 rounds of 44 mag in an hour- felt like I was holding a joy buzzer for the rest of the day. 😬

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Older range where they know me is $10 and 45 min if busy , the fancy range $18 for HR another is or was $25 for as long you want but have to give it up for members

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Enie meanie miney moe.. oh gee..guess I'm not spoda use that rhyme any longer..so shoot me...:)
Catch a tiger by the toe? That's the only version I ever knew for many years.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
When practicing/training with .357mags, I'll bring two or three, then trade off when a cylinder is too hot to hold open on reloads. :) With 1911s that isn't necessary; however, there are times slides are too hot to slingshot slides. Heat can cause reliability issues...don't want that. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts