Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this chiefs special pistol and am trying to determine a few things about it. The front sight appears to be different but I cannot tell if it has been modified or anything. Can someone help? It's a 5 screw older model and has the original red box.

Serial number is 67××

Attachments

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,960 Posts
very nice.. can we get a couple shots of the sight , maybe looking down ?

It is of course a baby chief from early 1950's, based om the rounded trigger guard.. there were 3 types of sights - early guns had the half moon, then for a short run the smooth ramp, and then the serrated ramps that continue on thru the model 36

Id suspect a smooth ramp - maybe modified? - don't know that i have a clear picture of one in my files..

baby_chief.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few more pics, I dont have one of the top currently as I am on vacation and the gun is at home.

Let me know if it helps. I have not removed the grips yet to ensure they are original, but I presume they are given he had another 150 guns that were all original.

Acquired through an estate.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Looks like a standard smooth ramp that someone has modified the shape with a file to me.
The red line in the photo below would be the original profile before modification...
FrontSight.JPG

FrontSight2.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I'm trying to find out, how much do you think the mod would hurt the value? Estimated value of it with the box?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm curious to look more closely at it when I get home. I agree that modifying that would be discouraging. I definitely didnt notice any strange look so if it was modified, it was at least a clean job.

Anyone have an idea on year? 6xxx serial number. I figure 1950-1952.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Great pics. How do I upload some of mine?
We now live, SAD to say, in what amounts to a PRE-literate world, where stupid, confusing, abstract, symbols, not written words, must be de-cyphered...IF you can! Look above at that strange symbol--I don't know what the hell it's supposed to represent!--that's 4th from the end of the line that ends with "ABC." Hit that & you will (or should) see a "box" that allows you to "browse" images stored on your computer--generally in "Pictures," if you're using Windows. (How I wish I could afford Mac!) If you can't figure it out from there, God help you--I can't.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have this chiefs special pistol and am trying to determine a few things about it. The front sight appears to be different but I cannot tell if it has been modified or anything. Can someone help? It's a 5 screw older model and has the original red box.

Serial number is 67××
To ME--and no doubt I'm in the minority--that original red box FAR outweighs the "damage" done by the front sight modification! (Which looks like it was a careful, professional, job.) Chief's Specials were "working guns," so one in near mint cond. (except for the front sight), with the original box, is exceptional!

·
Registered
12,612 Posts
Looks like a standard smooth ramp that someone has modified the shape with a file to me.
The red line in the photo below would be the original profile before modification...
View attachment 431029

View attachment 431031
It does look like a smooth ramp that has been modified, but I think it looks good, so there's that at least

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still curious as to what you all think of the value. 🙂

And I'll be sure to post detailed pics later. If it does look too good to be true, I'll send pictures to Smith and wesson.... that's a great point that there is the rare chance that its factory done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll respectfully disagree with the $400 concept, but I wont hate you. Lol!

I wont ask you to value my black widow by luger with capture papers from the battle of the bulge.... lol! $1 BOB.....

I imagine I can get around $1000 for the pistol with the box. If I can get documentation from S&W that its factory mod then I would imagine $1400.

But that's just my opinion.

I personally would rate the gun at 95%.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I'll respectfully disagree with the $400 concept, but I wont hate you. Lol!

I wont ask you to value my black widow by luger with capture papers from the battle of the bulge.... lol! $1 BOB.....

I imagine I can get around $1000 for the pistol with the box. If I can get documentation from S&W that its factory mod then I would imagine $1400.

But that's just my opinion.

I personally would rate the gun at 95%.
Well you asked for an opinion and a trusted member replied with a number you don't feel is correct.
In my opinion you should check Gunbrokers completed sales and if you are still not happy, just list it for what you feel it is worth and see what happens.
Good Luck...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts