Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Chief. This gun is IMHO about the very best value for the dollar one can find on a shelf these days. The wide variation in the different models seems to offer everyone a gun they can love. Reliable, easy to carry, and a fairly powerful cartridge in the 38 Special. Time and time again, when we discuss CCW guns, most of us seem to return to our beloved J frame over and over again, I've noticed over the years the numbers of forum members (here and elsewhere) who profess their overall satisfaction with one of these models. We stray away from them, but not for long.
I am included in all this, as I really love a good Chief. Today I took my favorite Chief out for a session, a flat latch Model 37 airweight. The target pictured is the 2nd one of the day, I shot 150+ rounds plus the 22s (groin shots on this target). All in all a pretty good day, though at times I was starting to wonder if I was shooting black powder loads-this is smokeless powder? Yeah, I know, ear protection... :mrgreen: kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Looks like "Old Unique" to me. Kinda smokey with cast lead bullets.

I agree with the J-Frame comments in general and Model 37 specifically. These guns just don't seem to get the respect they deserve especially if they have any appreciable blue wear...

Nice shooting Bro.... Like my old Compadre~ used to say.... "That'll knock 'em off the pony...."

Drew

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Geoff,
Regardless of the gun you were using, 'Mr. Target' is no longer among the living! kfjdrfirii
I've had several M-37's, and found them to be excellent comfortable carry-guns.
For my old hands, however, I've gone back to the steel-framed J's...a bit less muzzle-jump :lol:
I agree...J's are still the best option if you're serious about real concealment.
Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.