Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with an SD9VE had any issues using cheap ammo. I’m only using it as a range gun not for home/self defense so the cheaper the better. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
Any Winchester White box ammo will work just fine. And just about any bulk ammo will work as well for cheap ammo.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I stay away from steel case as a rule but have used the aluminum case in 9mm on several guns and it worked flawlessly. I have also used it in .45 without issue. 9mm is generally pretty cheap anyway but the aluminum was cheaper than brass.

My favorite place for pricing and service
Targetsportsusa.com

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
I was warned by my Gun dealer, that the Winchester 147 gr. 9mm. JHP, that I got for self defense, might not feed reliably over the feed ramp of some semi-autos. The hollow point 'ogive' has sharp shoulders that can hang up on the feed ramp. He said to buy the DESIGNER FEDERAL AMMO at $20/box of 25, is much better! lijf;:roll:happyroller I'll try what I've got first! It fed the first round into the chamber pretty good, for a couple of times. I have to go to the range and test the ammo, to see what's going on myself. Everybody has an opinion! Bob

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've had my SD9VE for 5 years and have always used the cheapest stuff I could find. I have never had any problems of any kind with it. I have probably only shot it around 1,000 rounds though as I have others I like to shoot better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I inherited a Smith & Wesson .357 a while ago. I also got some .357 shells with it. After shooting some .357, I thought I would buy some .38 specials and see how that felt. I was surprised at the price. A box of 50 was about $20. I have been used to paying $11 for 9mm. Why are they so much more expensive? They are almost the same cartridge as the 9mm.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I inherited a Smith & Wesson .357 a while ago. I also got some .357 shells with it. After shooting some .357, I thought I would buy some .38 specials and see how that felt. I was surprised at the price. A box of 50 was about $20. I have been used to paying $11 for 9mm. Why are they so much more expensive? They are almost the same cartridge as the 9mm.
Good Question ..and at my local big box outdoor stores its usually closer to $24 for 38/357. I always assumed it was a supply thing and 9mm being so popular they probably sell 5 times as much .. but I dont know.

I started reloading not for savings but after the last ammo shortage I swore I wasn't going to have a bunch of paperweights I couldn't bring to the range. I swore I would not be held hostage by Big G again. I had enough SD ammo but couldn't scare up range stuff so I asked a friend by to teach me how to reload.

Turns out .. It is much more awesome than just having ammo. I can roll them with the components I want. I can charge them within a range so I can make softer shooting for the wife and as hard hitting as I like and .... I just recently did the math and with using the brass I have been reloading for some time now .. It cost me about $7.50 avg for 50 rounds of 38+p using Nice DG Bullets and CCI primers. Damn fine rounds at $7.50 a box means i get to go play more.

Every now and again I will order a box or two of 357 to shoot and build up my 357 brass pile. I have some 500+ for the 38.

Initial outlay for reloading can be had cheap. I use a single stage lee classic. I probably over bought because I only do handgun rounds and dont need the big cast iron model so could have gotten by with a less expensive press.

Once every couple weeks I go to my hobby room and turn on some music or a talk show and make a few hundred rounds.

I dont roll 9mm because i cant get it at $10 a box.

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Guys, I am very happy with the WWB 9mm. 147Gr. JHP Personal Protection (~ $25/ 50 box) that I bought. It feeds fine, has a strong recoil (for 9mm.), and, since I'm now shooting with one hand, I can't say much about accuracy......but I hit the target at 15'!!!! kfjdrfirii Good enough for me, for my first impressions! I may stick with WWB, because it seems to be pretty clean ammo, too. The price is reasonable. I have always liked it in .38 Spl.! I can use it for practice and carry, which is the way to do it! Check it out, but Winchester also makes several 'better grades' of defense ammo, if you prefer. I don't think that you can go wrong with Winchester!!!!

To the OP, who asked about cheap 9mm. 115 Gr. FMJ ammo. It is cheap because it's only good for shootin' paper. If you want cheap, go with the $9.99/box ammo. Good ammo costs $25 /50 box......but the best stuff is 2x that, in a box of 20. You get what you pay for....like everything else!!!

I read a test, shooting this 147 Gr. 9mm. Personal Protection ammo into gel, and it tends to penetrate 16" or so, so it's even good for in the woods. Should be able to handle a Black Bear, if you have to!!!! Better than .38 Spl +P. kfjdrfirii:roll: Bob

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
Wait til you see the price of 357 ammo! Around here 38 special can be found for $17/50 or so and 357 runs $22-26

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Depends on your pistol my ex bosses new SD9VE wouldn't cycle Winchester WB my used SD did fine plus different brands 124gr and 115 gr JHP.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
1. Cheap ammo can be dirty and require more cleaning work.
2. Some ranges won't let you use steel case ammo.
3. How much cheaper? I use TargetSports USA and pay about 18 cents per round Federal/CCI brass. They have a club deal where for $99 a year you can buy any amount with free shipping instead of by the case. Plus a free gift which includes ammo based upon your buying background.

That said, I have been buying at my LGS. They know me and I know them. Currently Target Sports is out of 223 and 556. Just bought my first AR aSW Sport II in 556. Perrys didn't show any ammo for sale on line.I emailed them and they said whenI picked up the rifle they would take care of me. Haviong a relationship with a LGS can have benefits, like in times like now. I paid more at Perrys but Target is out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts