Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to recent studies, more that 51% of American Law Enforcement officers carry a pistol chambered for the .40 S&W cartridge.

Charter Arms has come out with a 5-shot snub nose revolver that chambers and fires the .40 S&W semi-automatic pistol cartridge without moon clips of any kind.

The Pitbull's ejector contains five spring loaded notches that secure the .40 rounds in the chambers.

It's a pretty neat system that allows the single loading and ejection of five cartridges just like any other revolver chambered for a standard rimmed revolver cartridge. Pretty neat.

For many, the idea of having the same cartridge in both duty and backup/off-duty handguns is very appealing.

While other revolvers have been chambered for the .40 with moon clips, and still others have been chambered for the 9mm without moon clips, this Charter Arms Pitbull is the first revolver chambered for the .40 round without moon clips.

The single action trigger pull measured just under 4 pounds. The double action is somewhere over 12 pounds because I couldn't measure it on my digital Lyman gauge. The grip is excellent and covers the backstrap so it should cushion recoil rather well. A transfer bar is utilized and the gun points very naturally.

I'll be interested to shoot it and I may break out my chronograph to see how much of a drop off in velocity various factory .40 S&W rounds show when fired in my S&W M&P .40 Pro compared to this snub nosed revolver with the cylinder to barrel gap....

-Steve

· Registered
8,899 Posts
Very interesting cartridge retention system. Let us know how it performs. I was kind of looking at the S&W Model 610, it uses moon clips, but can handle both 40 S&W and 10 mm.

· Registered
23,304 Posts
About 20 years ago Charter Arms made a very similar gun that shot 9mm & was a very good, accurate & dependable back-up gun... I wish they would bring them back. Interestingly, when my mother got too old to hunt anymore she gave away her Marlin, Worthington & Springfield but hung onto the Charter Arms revolver she borrowed from me nearly 30 years ago. Charter Arms ain't pretty but they tend to go bang every time & are very good for the price.

· Registered
4,928 Posts
While not designed for years of hard service Charter does make a very good product.

I have read Charter will be making these in .40, 9mm, and .45 but have yet to see one. Looks well made.

· Premium Member
13,735 Posts
I've not kept up with developments by Charter Arms........this is very interesting.

If they do come out with one chambered .45 ACP, I'll buy one (gracias kcq1).

Thanks mm6mm6 for the enlightening string.

Regards All,

Geezer

· Registered
4,928 Posts
I've not kept up with developments by Charter Arms........this is very interesting.

If they do come out with one chambered .45 ACP, I'll buy one (gracias kcq1).

Thanks mm6mm6 for the enlightening string.

Regards All,

Geezer

+1 I want a 9 and a 45. They would be P-E-R-F-E-C-T backup guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.