Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....some months back I came across "a deal" on a NIB Daly version of a HP 9mm Browning :shock: ...

Nicely executed and seemingly well constructed, I scurried home with it, rather fascinated with the utilitarian cosmetics and dandy balance. I liked the special sight, and it really DID fit my hand. etc. Besides....."one can :roll: ALWAYS :? use another 9mm".... :arrow: *kaff*kaff* :oops:

OK, firing line surprise: it was picky about magazines. Downright finicky in fact. And it wasn't all that accurate. OK, maybe the every-sliding-sideways-back&forth rear sight influenced that. Still, it took more effort than it should have to find the proper .050" hex key to fit; pull the sight OFF completely, fiddle for 30 minutes with getting the threads/set screws to work properly (they would screw down just so far & then bind...while OFF the slide...) and THEN reinstall sight. Which, by the way, did tighten down at last.

But I never got it back to the range. After the 3rd session with the trigger pin backing out after 3-4 magazine full, in spite of what my otherwise-great local 'smith did to deep seat the spring into the center groove of said pin....and after the factory sent me a baggie of replacement parts, which also never got installed....

Charles took a little walk and was exposed to opportunity to return my original investment, on the way to the range where I would have checked out that rear sight again.....

See ya Charles. If the phone don't ring it's ME!!!!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I have learned the hard way that the Browning HP Clones are as miserable as the Originals are magnificent.

I couldn't give my FEG Detective away and the Mauser marked copy I owned was an embarrassment to that fine old name.

There's 3 HP keepers here, all Browning Marked, and happy pistols indeed. One Belgian S-Series, A US made Practical, and a first issue .40.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it's any consolation, you've got my thanks...

My SOP, not always adhered to BTW, is to benefit from others mistakes...

Thanks for the reminder :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The P35, along with the FAL of course, is God's gift, through the genius of FN's Dieudonne' Saive (ok, JMB gets credit for his locked breech patent ;) ) to discerning shooters for almost 75 years now.

Just can't beat the original...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re: "now you might have enough to buy you a new taurus. hehehe"

strange you should mention that.....I was gifted a PT1911 a few months back.

Owner had bought it and tucked it away somewhere. Finally he came to show it, opened the case and about stroked out.

It was a iron-rust color in an enchanting crusty tiger-stripe pattern. While some areas were 'only' flash-rust, there was some areas of slide pitting in the 'permanent divot' status.

He was so crestfallen (his first gun purchase) he outright just gave it to me to excise his sins of omission.

It took quite some time to strip it down, sandblast and reblue it.

Odd, so new a gun needing such.

On the other hand, the price was right, and it DOES seem to work quite nicely thank you.

·
Registered
402 Posts
m657,
That's a great story on your freebie PT1911. Wish that a few people would confess their sins to me.
A friend of mine was given a rust bucket Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle by a widow lady who husband had passed on several years prior. He told me that she had kept it in a leaky garden shed and that she just wanted it gone. My friend had no use for it as it had no resale value due to it's condition and the fact that you could by a nice one for about $70 or so at the time, therefore he passed it on to me. I didn't have any other projects going on at the time so I happy to have it. After getting it stripped down it I found that it was non imported marked and I believe that it is probably a war trophy bring back. I put about 40 hours total into refinishing it over a 6 month period. Hunted down a new sling, bayonet and a couple of pieces that were too far gone to use again and after getting it all put back together, it is now it is one of my favorite milsurp rifles.
Freebies.. you gotta luv em.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a Charles Daly HP for about a year. Never had a bit of trouble with it. Shoots well, never a mis-fire or a jam in well over 1,000 rounds. I replaced the factory recoil spring with a slightly heavier one since I shoot quite a bit of +P. No problems at all. Sadly my CD is up for sale so that I can get a S&W 325...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts