Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DATE: POSTED: January, 2022
TEXT SUMMARY: Whoda Thunk?
TEXT: I got another telephone call from a colleague that retired in Delaware. He told me that the process for obtaining a CCW permit there is the most draconian he’s ever seen, and he went thru the process. To wit: you have to successfully complete a state-designed gun course, available at any approved gun store or gun range (OK); you have to have your picture taken (they can’t/won’t use your driver’s license photo) (OK); you have to have your finger prints taken by a police station (OK); you have to have 5 people in the county in which you reside sign a form stating that you’re a fine upstanding person (???); and you have to have your intention to obtain a CCW permit published 3 times in a newspaper in the county in which you reside (???). And, all of this has to be completed within certain time limits, or you get to start all over again…

The main reason for his call was to say that there’s now legislation to make Delaware a constitutional carry state. It doesn’t mean that this’ll happen, but it’s a significant change in the long-standing position of CCW in Delaware. Now, how’s that for a radical turn of position???

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
Sounds like Illinois to me. Especially Cook County. My cousin had to go through hell and high water to get his and he still has to present his FIDO card to buy ammo.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You forgot the last part where it goes in front of a judge and they signoff on it. At least Delaware will issue you a CCW for defense reasons, unlike Maryland and NJ.

Delaware is also not signer of the NFA, so no full-auto or suppressors allowed. You can get SBRs though.

·
Premium Member
12,441 Posts
Sounds like a good process to be able to vote as well. Maybe it will catch on?

Reactions: Pavia and DrDoctor

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Preaching to the choir: Suppressors should not be an NFA item.
Yes, but then again, nothing should be an NFA item.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You should see the Delaware CCW license. It looks like it was made in a preschool art class. Laminated card stock with your photo pasted to it. At least you can cross the state line and get an out of state CCW in PA for $19 and no hassle. That opens up a lot of coverage with other states. Of course the 2nd Amendment should be the only CCW permit you need.

·
Registered
689 Posts
It’s expired because I moved to gun friendly Missouri in 2018. Missouri is Constitutional Carry.

BTW… everyone and mean everyone in Delaware hates Joe Biden, so don’t give any Delawareans grief for him.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It’s expired because I moved to gun friendly Missouri in 2018. Missouri is Constitutional Carry.

BTW… everyone and mean everyone in Delaware hates Joe Biden, so don’t give any Delawareans grief for him.
How does Missouri's gun violence statistics stack up to Delaware's? If there isn't a measurable difference, with Delaware having less than Missouri, that ought to be reason enough to delete restrictive gun ownership and carry restrictions as unnecessary.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Some additional clarifications…

It used to be you needed three people from your voting district to ok the CCW. Now it’s just three from the county. The form just says you vouch for the applicant. In NJ… the police will actually call you for those FOI crap registration. DE doesn’t do that.

You need three different newspaper classified listings. You just need to list one notice in one of three recognized papers in the area for like a week.

You do need a separate photo, because Delaware government agencies don’t have the technology to share your DMV photo.

The training thing is real. Same as most states. You take 8 hrs instruction from a certified trainer and have to shoot a few rounds at the range. No biggie.

In Pennsylvania you just show up at the sheriff’s office, fill out a form, provide your DL, pay a sawbuck, and they have your CCW ready in days.

·
Registered
689 Posts
How does Missouri's gun violence statistics stack up to Delaware's? If there isn't a measurable difference, with Delaware having less than Missouri, that ought to be reason enough to delete restrictive gun ownership and carry restrictions as unnecessary.
Wilmington is the third most dangerous city in America by per capita. It’s the perfect drug city sitting on the I-95 corridor between NY and DC. St Louis is actually the 13th most dangerous city in the world. Only Mexico, Venezuela, etc exceed it. That being said… has zero to do with law abiding citizens and everything to do with failed Liberal policies.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You have to understand a couple things. St Louis is not representative of the majority of Missouri. It’s the home of crime and Corrie Booker. All Soros money here. But I have the Missouri River that keeps the riff raff out.

Delaware is conservative. Always has been. But the crime and shift in New Castle County is off the hook. You go below the Delaware canal and it’s all farm country. But certainly a lot of crime around Dover.

I lived for 30 years in Delaware because I wouldn’t live one day in New Jersey. That’s the truth. I grew up in MD, but they turned Communist. Pennsylvania is fine, but they tax you to death!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Pavia,

Based upon what one of my former colleague’s told me, you’re absolutely correct about Delaware (but he thinks that it’s now 5 people attesting that you’re a good boy…). He says that there’s only 3 counties in the entire state (OK, Delaware ain’t very big), and that south of the “dividing line” of Delaware’s the Delaware-Chesapeake Bay Canal. New Castle County’s (the northern-most county) ultra-blue, Kent County’s (in the middle) mostly red, and Sussex County’s (the southern-most county) very red, altho’ that seems to be changing abit what with the heavy migration occurring at the present time of people from NY, NJ, PA, MD, Vir, and DC. He lives in Sussex County, and he says that in eastern Sussex County (along the Atlantic Coastline) it’s like living in a suburb of Philly, and he hates it. The only reason he went there’s because there’s NO sales tax, property tax’s incredibly low, and when he and his wife are both over 65, their property will go done even more because they no longer have to pay for the schools. However, he said he isn’t going to last that long, as he and his wife are moving very soon back to either Kentucky, or Tennessee, where their families are from (but, I can’t remember who’s from which state…).

The main reason they want to move is that Delaware’s 2 US senators are ultra-blue dimmys, as is their 1 US representative, and as is their idiot governor, who he said just reinstated mandatory masks in public places, but which many business are not enforcing – a revolt… of sorts. I’m not in Delaware, but my wife and I are also moving back to the mid-west (the land of sanity, the area that hilary the ***** said people should just fly over and disregard) because I want to get back to the land of my people – a specific tribe of Native Americans.

Again, thank you for filling in the blanks!!! Best regards… Thx.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts