Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far locally, the only large pistol primers I can get my hands on are CCI Large Pistol Primers (300's, non Magnums). If I use these in my light .44 Magnum loads (10.0 grains Unique with a 250 grain SWC and 11.0 grains with 200 and 240 grain JHP), will I get reliable ignition, or should I keep trying to hunt down magnum primers? I am down to the last of my Winchester Large pistol primers.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I've sparked alot of Unique over the the past 30+ years with CCI Non-Magnum Primers. They were all I used before I switched to Federal about 5 years ago because they seem to be easier to seat in a Lee Auto Prime.

Powder charges in my .44 Magnums was 9.0 Grains under a 250 SWC and 7.5 in a .44 Special Case. 7.0 Grns in a .357 with a 172 Grn. SWC and 5.0 in the .38 with the same bullet.

One thing about CCI primers is that they are indeed harder than the Federals and perhaps the Winchesters too.... guns with a light hammer fall may not reliably fire these caps. Stock triggers usually do not have any problems....

I bet you'll be fine with the CCI's..... I have found them to be very consistent.

Drew

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would even venture to say that between the two (regular primers with Unique, versus mag primers with Unique) I would say that the non mag primers are safer to use. I believe even Elmer Keith did not use mag primers when sparking .44 mag case fulls of 2400 powder.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Toroflow is correct about EK and 2400. I use CCI primers for almost all my reloading and find them to be great. The 300s will serve those loads well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I NEVER use magnum primers in pistols. Neither did Elmer.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I guess the consensus on use of mag primers would be limited to large doses of ball type powder. Although I have never used WW 231 powder...I'd imagine you wouldn't need mag primers with 231, even though it is ball powder. What say those that use 231?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I believe that Elmer Keith never used Magnum primers with his famous Hercules 2400 powder loads for 44 Magnum. I have never had a ignition problem with any flake powder.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
toroflow said:
I guess the consensus on use of mag primers would be limited to large doses of ball type powder. Although I have never used WW 231 powder...I'd imagine you wouldn't need mag primers with 231, even though it is ball powder. What say those that use 231?
Ken,

I've used a good deal of 231 in .45 ACP & .38 Spl with good effect..... no Magnum Primers needed.

Drew
S&WCA 1802

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sebago Son said:
toroflow said:
Ken,

I've used a good deal of 231 in .45 ACP & .38 Spl with good effect..... no Magnum Primers needed.

Drew
S&WCA 1802
That's what I figgered! You just verified my belief!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Magnum primers are not needed for most handgun loads. Certainly not loads that use Unique or 231. I don't use them with my magnum loads with 2400 either.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Just my opinion, but if you have so much powder in a pistol/revolver case that you need a magnum primer to ignite it, you probably have way too much powder. I don't use magnum primers.

Elmer Keith? That gun guru blew up more guns with his experimental loads than I have. Met him once, nice feller. He bought me a drink (I was a newly minted 2LT) and we talked about the Viet Nam war. Got all his books and one that is autographed. Bought it second-hand.

I like shooting without having to worry about a load that'll blow my gun to Hell and back.

I like having four fingers and a thumb.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have been using cci magnum#350'S for 41 & 44 mag. Simply because that's all I can find in large pistol primers. So far they work fine no issues with various powders.

·
Registered
33 Posts
David Lapell said:
So far locally, the only large pistol primers I can get my hands on are CCI Large Pistol Primers (300's, non Magnums). If I use these in my light .44 Magnum loads (10.0 grains Unique with a 250 grain SWC and 11.0 grains with 200 and 240 grain JHP), will I get reliable ignition, or should I keep trying to hunt down magnum primers? I am down to the last of my Winchester Large pistol primers.
Some powders REQUIRE magnum primers for proper ignition.......i.e. H100/W296. Unique is not one of these powders. You will be just fine with the standard primers.

Quarter Cherokee said:
Just my opinion, but if you have so much powder in a pistol/revolver case that you need a magnum primer to ignite it, you probably have way too much powder. I don't use magnum primers.

I like shooting without having to worry about a load that'll blow my gun to Hell and back.

I like having four fingers and a thumb.

QC, why are you so angry? The use of magnum primers has nothing to do with how much powder is in the case, but the difficulty of slower powders to ignite fully. Primers are not gonna blow up your gun.....unless you refuse to use Magnum primers with powders that require their use. Unless you're loading above SAAMI specs, or safe pressures for your gun, it's safer to use a magnum primer in place of a standard primer than it is to use a standard primer in place of a magnum primer. I sense this is why the OP was concerned, and thus he came here seeking sound advice.....not opinions. I'm thinkin' he may be using the Hornady manual that only lists the use of WLP(good for both standard and magnum loads). Since magnum primers are the same price as standard primers and most of the time(other than the present "scare'') just as easy to find, why not use them when the recipe calls for them? Most folks that are blowin' up guns ain't followin' the recipe. They think they're like EK and can write their own...or they have shoddy reloading practices. Most folks that use Magnum primers with H110/W296 have no problems.......if they do, it ain't the primers fault.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think the issue of magnum vis-a-vis non magnum is blowing up guns... it is mostly a question of uniform ignition of the powder... some people think you need magnum primers with some powder... others don't see the need.

I have never used magnum primers in pistol cartridges... and have never had problems (over more years than I like to think about)... though I realize that doesn't prove much being a single person's experience. ;)

Still, the use magnum primers isn't widely recommended, and is really not necessary according to most experts...

So bottom line is you can use magnum primers if you want to (but need to back off from max loads and work back up) but standard work just fine.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
33 Posts
cxm said:
some people think you need magnum primers with some powder... others don't see the need.

I have never used magnum primers in pistol cartridges... and have never had problems (over more years than I like to think about)... though I realize that doesn't prove much being a single person's experience. ;)

Still, the use magnum primers isn't widely recommended, and is really not necessary according to most experts...

...................and who are these so called "experts" you speak of? More knowledge gained from internet keyboard commandos? I have 4 of the latest reloading manuals in front of me, plus downloaded info from the manufacturer of H110/W296/Lil' Gun . They all state I need to use magnum primers with most of my .357/.44 magnum loads using those powders. Your so called "experts" know more than they do? Don't do me another Elmer Kieth.......his pet powder was 2400. I don't use magnum primers with 2400 either.

I'm not advocating the use of Magnum primers when not necessary, but I am advocating the use of them when they are......and I'll take my advice from real experts, not from personal experience I've read about on the internet. I follow the recipes in the manuals. cause I realize those that compile that info know a lot more than I do. I don't think I know better than they do cause I've got away with something before.....and I realize that if I deviate from published and tested info, that I risk harm to me and my gun.

BTW, when I develop a load for one of my guns, I will sometimes try a magnum primer with a load that doesn't require it. Sometimes accuracy and standard deviation will improve over using standard primers....sometimes it don't. That's what handloading is about. But I do reduce the load and then work my way back up. Again, they cost no more and are just as common as standard primers.......why some folks are so hesitant to use them when needed is beyond me.

·
Administrator
8,128 Posts
I think some members are getting just a little too frisky.. time to back off of the finger-pointing, gentlemen.

This forum is here for the sharing of information. That's all it's here for. If someone doesn't agree with someone else, it's fine to post your opinion on that matter. But, a beligerent post just won't cut it here.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
David,
Your Standard primer will work fine with the powder you discribed,
been using std. primers for years for just such loads.

Su Amigo,
Dave

P.S. I've been handloadin' for just 42 years and I'm still learn something new all the time...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts