Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Danny Caywood is the maker of fine semi-custom guns. Frankly, they are built the same as a custom gun would be done...just in multiples. His workmanship is really at the art-gun level.

I was fortunate to convince a friend of mine to part with one of his... ;)

This is in a Flintlock English Fowler pattern and in 20 Gauge. I have a similiar percussion Caywood that is made to represent a Flintlock conversion from the 1820's. Both guns are light and lively even with their 42 inch barrels.

The first thing you'll notice is how incredibly light these guns are. Despite their lengthy, 41 1/2-inch barrels, they weigh only about six pounds.

The reason for this is twofold. First, the barrel is made heavy and strong where it needs to be, but light elsewhere (as were best-grade originals).

The barrel's breech is octagonal, tapering to a point 13 inches up the tube where it transitions to round with an attractive "wedding ring" design. The barrel's round section is not uniform in diameter, but tapers to a waist about a foot from the muzzle, after which it flares slightly. This puts a little extra weight at the muzzle, making it more durable and giving a better feel in offhand shooting.

The second reason these guns are so light is because they are built correctly. That's to say they carry no excess wood at all. The entire stock is delicately shaped, with the long forend especially light and slim.

Giz

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I dont know much about flintlocks and other old black powder guns Giz. But I am learning from all your interesting posts and can realy appreciate the beauty of the guns you post pics of.That is some premium wood on the gun also.I have a friend down in vegas deep into the old black powder muzzle loaders and I think its about time I take him up on going shooting with him.I hope you keep posting the guns you have and the imformative descriptions. I for one realy enjoy the posts and pics.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks my friend,

The problem with posting pictures of these guns ...is the fact that they truly are long guns. The barrel on this one measures near 42 inches by itself. What you learn over the years is that you pay for what the maker takes away ;)

To get such a gun to weigh just 6 pounds, yet have a full-stock is an artform unto itself. No modern guns have swamped barrels, yet the older makers understood the need for such.

Guess my point is, that in order to show the whole gun in a picture, you lose much of the amazing detail that is a part of the whole....

They are the sailing ships of the modern gun world. Close to a living thing and responsive to the man that would master them. Each gun responds differently to each person that takes posession of it.

Hope you do take up your friends offer to shoulder one....Just don't blame me for the fork in the road it will create. :)

giz

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yep definately takes more than one pic to get a realy good look. The gun is even more beautiful when you see it up close like the second pic

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep!

Devil is in the details, as they say..... :mrgreen:
It's kinda nice to have guns that are still made one at a time, and a human being is involved in all of the processes. Gives them a life of their own, and the makers are willing to put a piece of their soul into each one....

Here's a pic of the bottom of the gun showing the workmanship involved with the triggerguard. Bear in mind that this is also inletted into the stock. Never mind the great work that went into them :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
That is beauitful, a true work of art. I love working with wood and really appriate a fine craftmanship.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts