Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures my Uncle sent from oregon of a cow elk he shot and his sin in law with a cougar he shot a few months ago

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nice!
Perfect weather for hanging an elk. Aldrich Mountains? Murderers Creek?

I have been keeping up with the cat issue here in Oregon. Back in the mid 90's when the use of hounds was banned for hunting cats the state estimated there were at most a couple of thousand cats in the wild. State biologists recently released that their original estimate was low and that now they estimate the cat population to be between 6000 and 7000! Not counting bobcats here, just the big boys. All sounds fine and good except when you consider what they do to the elk population. Let's see.. 1 cats kills roughly once per week... you do the math. Anyway, as you can imagine hunters are really pissed off. That the state has now implemented cat culling at a cost of some $500,000/year to thin the population is a double slap in the face. Hunters would gladly pay to do that, but no..
Anyway, nice shooting!

p.s. Here's a pic of an unusually large cat shot (not by me) very near Spray, Oregon.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The big cats here are giving the big horn sheep all kinds of trouble. Az. Game and Fish is about begging for cat hunters.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the same uncle that made the knife.That is the biggest cougar I have ever seen.I dont know exactly where the pics were taken. I do know they were taken in the moutains around Baker.
I plan on doing some exploring up there this summer and maybe giving up on going all the way back to north Idaho where I am from to hunt.The guy holding the cougar in the pic I posted was born and raised in baker. He knows every inch of the mountains around the area.He has a reputation for his kills in archery and scores a bull elk every year.
If any of you have ever seen a hunting movie made by the rocky mountain elk foundation called Point Blank Elk. He appears in the movie walking down a ridge packing a head and rack from a elk he killed.
The cougar in the picture he chased into a crevice of rock that formed a tiny cave.When he approached the cave he didnt see any thing and stuck his face up to peer and and was face to face with the cat.He let him have it with a 12 guage in the neck
Cougars are becomming a problem all over the north west.Not many people bother to hunt them even in Idaho where you can use dogs.Along with wolves and grizzlies the ecco nuts realy have things fouled up.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am going out this summer to scout for cats, not the house cat type, here in eastern WA. We have a pretty healthy population of them, maybe I can call one in later this year.

bob

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I need to start gettin' in shape for a cat hunt...wow some great pics of the ones there...

Talk about a full mount to go on the mattle over the fire place. :mrgreen:

Su Amigo,
Dave

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Bob R you live around spokane?
I live out on the west plains, but work with a guy that has 160 acres up by Deer Park I can have free rein on. His neighbor has about 15000 acres, I need to meet him.

bob

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hunting cougar is hard unless you already know a area one has been frequenting.They mostly are nocturnal and you dont see them very often even in places that are full of them.They are also hard to track unless you have snow or its wet out and the ground is soft.
I know people who eat them but there is no way I would eat a cat and the difficulty of finding and killing one leave me with not much interest in killing one.If I knew any thing about dogs as in dogs trained for hunting cats I might like to kill a few.Other wise I would just shoot one if I seen it by chance like the ones I have seen killed.
I have heard them scream before and been followed buy them at night a couple times but only seen a few during the day.But never shot one.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
They mostly are nocturnal and you dont see them very often even in places that are full of them.
That's the truth, but they do get out and about during the day. I am going to use a lot of the same techniques I use coyote hunting and try to get one to come in to a call. My only concern is if he comes in from behind me. The woods around Deer Park should produce at least one cougar.

bob

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Very cool, my cousin has trail cam pictures of a cougar here in NY, looks like it has a radio collar on. Of course the DEC denies any big cats around NY.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
That reminds me of a time a loooong time ago (pre 1971) when I was out dove hunting with my trusty single shot Stevens 12g in SW Oklahoma.

I was in a sparsely wooded area when I stepped around a tree and about 12' away was a big cat using another tree as a scratching post.

I can remember to this day his color and how he was stretched out with his big paws further up the tree than I was tall. While in that position he just turned his head and took a good look right at me. I knew right then I was screwed, I had a single shot 12g loaded with 7 1/2 shot and a few shells in my pockets. If he decided I was lunch we were going to the rodeo. I figured the best thing to do was to leave, if I could. Holding the gun at a loose ready I started to back away slowly, all the time keeping my eyes on the cat. About this time he took another scratch at the tree, went back to all fours, turned and went away from me.

On the way home I stopped by the local Co-Op because I saw the local Fish and Game officer's truck there. I went in and told him, and a few of the ranchers there what I saw and was immediately rebuffed by the fish cop. He said there have never been any big cats in that part of Oklahoma. I begged to differ with him, as did a couple of the ranchers, but he wouldn't be convinced. Or he knew and was spreading disinformation, which seems to still be going on.

That was probably one of the most scary times I ever had when out hunting. I was out alone, in a fairly remote area and if that cat had decided I looked tasty it could have gotten ugly pretty fast.

Cats are quiet, superb stalkers and you often don't even know they are there. When I go out hunting coyotes in cougar country, I try to take a partner. I will for sure when I do dedicated cat hunting.

bob

·
Registered
182 Posts
There are no cougars in Oklahoma. The wildlife department assured me of this right after my daughter reported seeing one on our old property near Jones that wasn't 12 feet away. Also, right after I showed him its tracks, but he assured me those tracks could be anything. Maybe they were from a moose. Also, right after three of us sighted one on our hunting spot near Eufala a few years later, and a few years after that on another hunting spot in Friezen (sp) Canyon (the south end of the Red Rock Canyon area). The two my other daughter saw on my property near Dover, OK, don't exist, either. Wildlife has assured me of that.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
:lol: :lol:

Over the past 20 years, I've spotted several in our rural/suburban neighborhood north of Fort Worth. I quit reporting such sightings to wildlife authorities and animal control because of the absurd comments and replies I would always get.

I know other people have seen glimpses because I have heard the wailing of hysterical women on the subject. That is THE main reason for the cover-up.

After a flurry of such reportings, Parks and Wildlife will show up with gigantic Hav-a-hart type traps and bait them with raw hamburger meat. After they have trapped and caught a few dozen housecats, skunks, coons, and 'possums, they pack up their gear and go home - having proved without any doubt that the witnesses were mistaken. :|

xtm

·
Registered
182 Posts
xtimberman, I noticed your sig line again. I'm a proud USAF Dad x 1 myself. My daughter is stationed at Shephard.

OK Wildlife has finally admitted that they exist. They've given farmers and ranchers permission to kill them as long as they can "prove" the cat was an imminent danger. I've heard so many denials over the years, though, that I now believe they're lying about bigfoot, too. :roll:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
parson45 said:
...I'm a proud USAF Dad x 1 myself. My daughter is stationed at Shephard.

OK Wildlife has finally admitted that they exist....
USAF daughters are mighty special! There are several of us on here who have one! :) Daughter is at Osan (S.Korea), son is at Hill (Utah)

The pat replies that are given out by all of the various Wildlife Dept. bureaucrats are from the same script. The whole thing has to be a big inside joke to them. That is what irritates me the most. :|

xtm

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
parson45 said:
xtimberman, I noticed your sig line again. I'm a proud USAF Dad x 1 myself. My daughter is stationed at Shephard.

OK Wildlife has finally admitted that they exist. They've given farmers and ranchers permission to kill them as long as they can "prove" the cat was an imminent danger. I've heard so many denials over the years, though, that I now believe they're lying about bigfoot, too. :roll:
If you have ever hunted the Oregon coast big foot would not seem so far fetched.
;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts