Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many carry 2 (or more) sidearms as part of EDC??

For the past couple of months, in light of the unrest, I've been carrying both a SHIELD .40 & SHIELD .380 EZ.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
I usually carry a J frame. If I feel the need for a bit more I carry my Shield. If that won't do, I can carry my SR9c. No unrest around these parts so its the J frame for now

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
In my limited experience, Most times incidents are at 3-10 yards so for me 2 six rd mags better be enough.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
I carry either the Colt Detective Special or the S&W CS-45, but not both.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I do sometimes, but generally when it's not 117 outside like it is today. I realize criminals ignore the heat, but I still fall prey to the horrendous temps we here in the desert land of AZ suffer through.

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
How many carry 2 (or more) sidearms as part of EDC??

For the past couple of months, in light of the unrest, I've been carrying both a SHIELD .40 & SHIELD .380 EZ.
Why? Why not carry two identical guns so mags, manual of arms, etc., are exactly the same?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would be more worried about how carrying multiple guns would look to investigators if you had to use them. Like you were looking for trouble and found or created some. As others have said carry more mags if you feel the need to. I carry a sig p228 with 1 mag in the gun, and 3 spare 15 rounders, if that aint enough then I deserve to die.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Sometimes, a 940 and a Rami. Both 9mm so I'm not carrying two types of ammo.
5+10+1 ;)

Usually as things get weirder I just go up in caliber
66-4
Pre 29

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
30 Posts
throws football I do.

I carry a Ruger LCP as backup to my SW40VE.

For the longest time I only carried a single firearm, but then I read an article from a police officer who narrowly survived a shootout with a crazed gunman who was shooting up a house of worship. He usually carried a backup, but left it behind because he was the first on the scene and left the station before all the details were in. The only reason why he survived is because backup arrived at the last minute and took the shooter out. He had been caught completely off guard and what he had on him wasn't enough, but he was adamant that if he had been carrying his backup that day, then he could have taken the shooter out and sustained fewer injuries as a result.

Ever since I read that story, I decided to start carrying a BUG.

Attachments

Reactions: OneIsNone

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Bad things happen very quickly and end just as fast. Good or bad result , the issue will be probably be decided before a need to change weapons. My 66 and two speed strips are plenty.

·
Registered
22,215 Posts
I usually carry my 2.5" 66-2 .357 but currently I use a SA XD MOD2 .45 acp 10 rounds. Don't see the need to carry more than one at this time..but that could change.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'll carry these two Model 36s sometimes, mostly because I figure it's quicker than reloading and a total of ten rounds should be enough. Lately though, I've carried a Glock 19 and two spare mags more often.......the mobs of looters and rioters have influenced my thinking.

Reactions: WendyZXZ

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Sometimes one, sometimes two..........
Before I retired, it was always two.

At that time, the state issued a primary and a backup in the same caliber. (40 S&W)
Glock 35s & 27s best I recall. My boss (the DA) said I could carry whatever I liked.

So, I liked these,

Or These,

If I'm hosting or going to a BBQ, I might sport this brace of Forty-Four Specials,

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
One time I went out with a M36, M686, M422 and a M10 all at the same time. It was hilarious. My pants wouldn’t stay up! Lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Around the house or when I go out I usually only carry one but have a second "real" gun within reach, usually in the car. In my front pocket is either a S&W Bodyguard in .38spl or a S&W Shield in 9mm. These days, in the armrest of the car is a Springfield XD in 9mm with spare mags.

·
Premium Member
10,809 Posts
So... one of the disadvantages of being a uniformed officer is that your self defense firearm is very visible - and visible from a distance, as is your uniform. To a lesser extent, this is also a disadvantage of civilian open carry. In an incident being planned by a violent attacker, you would probably be one of the first that they would attempt to disarm. For that reason, a hidden backup handgun makes a great deal of sense.

But carrying two is an additional burden, and you need to be aware of both and they need to stay put.

But one of the advantages of concealed carry is that you won't be automatically identified as the first to neutralize in a crowd. That gives you a considerable advantage. Carrying truly concealed, without the "tells" of self awareness (always favoring or touching the area where your EDC is) keeps you safer.

So, carrying additional magazines fully loaded with ammo makes more sense to me than the weight and bulk of a second backup firearm when I carry concealed. You just must be positive that your EDC is reliable.

My preference is a 9mm Shield or a HK VP9 or P30-SK.

Reactions: 1stgensmith39-2
1 - 20 of 28 Posts