Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several several businesses here in town with big signs on the front door barring carrying on their premises. (It is not illegal to do so so I carry there anyway).;) It amazes me what these Snowflakes think these signs are gonna accomplish. I guess they figger if a criminal intent on coming in and shooting up the place sees that sign their gonna think "Dang, I ain't allowed to carry a a gun here. Guess I gotta go someplace else".:confused:
I really wanna talk to the owners and ask that question.
Jim

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I suppose it's possible they're really stupid enough to believe criminals can & will read & obey their signs. In which case I question whether they're smart enough to operate a successful business. I also suppose they might be trying to avoid the Starbucks fiasco where they 1st claimed they didn't mind if folks carried guns there then when it became a gathering place for armed Bubbas had to change their policy... I'm not a Starbucks fan but no matter what they did they lost on that issue.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Concealed carry means just that. Nobody but you should know that you are carrying a firearm. I would like to think that everybody here knows that when their weapon comes out their life is about to change. You can only hope that the life you save, being yours or somebody else's makes it all worthwhile.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
There are several several businesses here in town with big signs on the front door barring carrying on their premises. (It is not illegal to do so so I carry there anyway).;) It amazes me what these Snowflakes think these signs are gonna accomplish. I guess they figger if a criminal intent on coming in and shooting up the place sees that sign their gonna think "Dang, I ain't allowed to carry a a gun here. Guess I gotta go someplace else".:confused:
I really wanna talk to the owners and ask that question.
Jim
No wild west in our store.:rolleyes: I mean what are they thinking er never mind they are Not thinking.

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
Same in South Dakota. No one has asked me to leave yet. We can't carry in court houses or businesses that get over 50% of their income from sale of alcohol.
Or Federal buildings as well...

The dork Sheriff in Lucas County, Ohio (Toledo) is about to find that out, the hard way I suspect.

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
Signs do not carry the force of law here in PA either. All they can do is ask you to leave and charge with trespassing if you don't. The only places I see those signs in my town are the hospital and doctors offices, and my doctor doesn't care. In fact, he often asks to see what I am carrying, especially if its a revolver he hasn't seen before. The way I see it is if you are properly concealed, no one will see it

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember several years ago I had an armed bodyguard assignment. My client was, believe it or not, a Gynecologist.:eek: (I gotta write a book).:cool: When we got to her office in a hospital she asked me to go downstairs and get breakfast. The first person I saw in there as a local cop, acting as Security. I figgered I better tell him what I was doing. He asked "are you armed"? I replied in the affirmative. He looked at me and said, "well, I guess it'll be OK".:cool:
I have seen him several times since then ad I always thank him.:D
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,270 Posts
Those signs DO have the force of law in North Carolina. It's an infraction (was a misdemeanor until we helped change the law a few years ago).

The problem with these law violations is that they are gun law violations, and can lead to more draconian problems for gun owners. At least an infraction doesn't automatically make you "prohbited", but subsequent violations are misdemeanor violations.

We permit concealed carry for permit holders in places that serve alcohol as long as they don't prohibit it, and you don't imbibe a drop of alcohol. Zero tolerance.

It would seem that this puts property rights (of the owners of public accommodations) ahead of safety and personal self defense rights. Interesting set of priorities, eh?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Those signs DO have the force of law in North Carolina. It's an infraction (was a misdemeanor until we helped change the law a few years ago).

The problem with these law violations is that they are gun law violations, and can lead to more draconian problems for gun owners. At least an infraction doesn't automatically make you "prohbited", but subsequent violations are misdemeanor violations.

We permit concealed carry for permit holders in places that serve alcohol as long as they don't prohibit it, and you don't imbibe a drop of alcohol. Zero tolerance.

It would seem that this puts property rights (of the owners of public accommodations) ahead of safety and personal self defense rights. Interesting set of priorities, eh?
As far as "private" property I have no problem with someone posting no guns. It's their property, just like no trespassing no hunting no fishing etc.

. If they don't want guns, then to me it's just like "no smoking" or no whatever. Just like if I am a Baker and don't want to bake a cake for someone, its my store. Screw all protected class folks

Go shop somewhere else.

Many threads on gun owners stating the are gonna "boycott" this or that and not go see some movie as the actor is anti gun. Pretty soon those people are going boycott themselves right out of leaving the house.
Can't go to school, the courthouse the Post Office, Ball Game, Concert, Fly in a plane or whatever. Somehow millions of people actually do survive without their daily carry.;)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Welcome to the People's Republik!

) Except as otherwise provided, a licensee in violation of this Act shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.
A second or subsequent violation is a Class A misdemeanor. The Department may suspend a license for up
to 6 months for a second violation and shall permanently revoke a license for 3or more violations of Section
65 of this Act. Any person convicted of a violation under this Section shall pay a $150 fee to be deposited
into the Mental Health Reporting Fund, plus any applicable court costs or fees.

Oh and read the list of Prohibited Areas!

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
Don't mind visiting my cousin in Frankfort and I don't mind hunting there with him (even though your non-resident license is stupid expensive), but living in the Land of Lincoln, no way Jose'

You get taxed to death, have a criminal for a governor and are home to one of the worst metropolitan areas in the entire country. I'd say you people have all the bases covered.:D

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
"Somehow millions of people actually do survive without their daily carry."

I do. I've had a CCW for years. The only time I carry is if the situation demands it. 95% of the time I'm without. Thinking about it, the only time I pack is when I go to a metropolitan area where there are a lot of people and a percentage of idiots. Other than that, I feel no need to.

I never carried at work because my workplace was posted and I certainly didn't want to lose my job over stupidity. Hauling down 150K a year and getting fired because I felt their policy was wrong in my view is just stupid.

Wrong or right I always complied and interestingly, the general manager is/was a gun person and has shot on my range.

Rules, whether you agree or not, need to be followed and if you don't, you need to put your big boy pants on and accept the consequences.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've always wondered ... if a business posts a "Gun Free Zone" sign and prohibits law abiding citizens from carrying a firearm for their own protection, and a gunman comes in a shoots up the place, can the citizen sue the business for failure to enforce the "Gun Free Zone" and endanger the law abiding patrons?

I think if such a law suit were successful it would change the whole landscape of the "Firearms Prohibited" mentality. That would be fun to watch.:p

Hector

1 - 20 of 58 Posts