Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,899 Posts
When I teach self defense classes, I suggest to students that 9mm Luger (in +P for self defense) is the minimum I would recommend that they carry. Something with this ballistic performance or greater has a better chance of actually stopping someone on impact, not just injuring them and making them mad until they die.

Too heavy a caliber, especially if you have difficulty controlling it, could interfere with accuracy and shot follow through. Attackers rarely operate alone. Only through training and experience can you reliably control a .45acp or .357 magnum or greater. I believe that this is why military contracts shifted to the 9mm round.

That said, even a .22LR is lethal if shot placement is accurate. It has little chance of actually stopping someone before it is lethal (except for CNS damage), and that time period could be long enough for the attacker to finish their intended damage. This is why impact, terminal ballistic performance and fragmentation without over penetration is the goal in self defense. If you're among other people that are innocent bystanders you definitely don't want over penetration with wound exit and then damage to someone standing beyond the attacker.

Remember that you may (under castle laws) gain immunity from criminal or civil charges when defending yourself against an attacker, but an innocent bystander that is hurt or killed is on your liability regardless of your intent.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ShooterGranny- I,too, suffer from arthritis. One day I may be down to something smaller. Any pistol is better than none! I seem to remember reading that 93% of encounters result in no shots fired. Bad guy leaves to find an easier target. Caliber not so important in that instance! Hank

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
One of the questions I like to ask in regards to caliber is

Would your choice change and to what if a nationwide 10 round mag limit came into affect?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I feel very comfortable with my Speed-Six in .357 Mag. for EDC. If that requirement changes, I.e. facility patrol, then I’m back to my Combat Commander in .45ACP. Reloads for both, of course, with multiples for the Commander. Plus a BUG.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Shot placement is critical but the bigger the hole the more tissue disruption is very important on marginal shots, which can easily happen under pressure. I mostly carry a 45 acp will sometimes carry a 9mm

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
One of the questions I like to ask in regards to caliber is

Would your choice change and to what if a nationwide 10 round mag limit came into affect?
F' em. kfjdrfirii

Campbell_Thompson.jpg

Seriously, I'd just not carry the Rami or the Hellcat- as I don't do it much now, it wouldn't make much difference .

Although if they tried to institute such a thing, I'd imagine there'd be a "ruckus". ;)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
My EDC is a 640 Pro Series .357 loaded with 125 gr JHPs. I carry it in an ankle holster which may not be ideal, but nobody is going to grab it. I am soon going to resume reloading and will load 3 #1 Buck in Speer Shot Capsules. they are like being hit with 3 rounds of 22 mag at once. May alternate rounds in the cylinder. the 125s have better range, and if you think a 2" barrel isn't effective at 50 yards, I wouldn't stand there if I were you. Sometimes I carry a Sig p238 in my pocket incase I can't get to my ankle fast enough.

·
Registered
16,215 Posts
Would like to add that besides caliber is the gun itself and fit to the person. I have seen bigger guys with small 380 that does not fit their hands and have a terrible time shooting it. As MMerick does in his training, everyone should try the gun for fit, understand how it operates, and how to use it. As stated caliber may make some difference but placement is king.

·
Banned
918 Posts
What you're missing is the Polish Radom P-64! (Of course.)

Shoots 9X18mm Makarov ammo, .010 wider than 380.
Looks like a PPK, set you back about 225-250$

NEXT! r

·
Registered
6 Posts
I carry a 5" 629 Classic .44mag, from pajamas-off until pajamas-on, every day. In a homemade, under-the-shirt, cloth vertical shoulder holster rig. Comfortable and well-concealed. Loaded with 240gr Underwoods.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Mike-WOW! Wouldn’t fit me. Open carry, maybe. No way I could conceal that. Some of my friends would REALLY begin to wonder about me. Hank

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
You're not missing anything. Circumstances dictate. I used to think if it didn't start with 4 it wasn't worth much. Now 68 and recovering from a stem cell transplant, I have low upper body strength and control tops out with a 38 special or 9mm and 32 magnum is looking better and better!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry a Glock 43 mostly with 115gr Hornady Critical Defense.......I also carry the 9mm M&P Shield
Just out of curiosity do you have a chambered round in your Glock 43? I bought one, but can't bring myself to carry it chambered. Of course that means quite a bit of motion and noise if I were to need to use it. Therefore, I just don't consider it as a good carry weapon for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just out of curiosity do you have a chambered round in your Glock 43? I bought one, but can't bring myself to carry it chambered. Of course that means quite a bit of motion and noise if I were to need to use it. Therefore, I just don't consider it as a good carry weapon for me.
I have a 43 and when I carry it, which is not often, it has an empty chamber because it doesn't have a safety. There is something called Glock Leg but no S&W Leg, Walther Leg, Sig Leg, Taurus Leg, or Ruger Leg. As I once read, the original manual for the Austrian Army G17 said not to carry it with one in the chamber. I don't expect a surprise firefight or a quickdraw contest. The usual gun forum suspects tell me that I need "more training" so I can be a fearless gunfighter like they are and stagger around with two pistols and five extra magazines at the local grocery store.

·
Registered
176 Posts
9mm, 45acp, and 357 magnum are the main calibers I carry. I might start getting my 40 S&W into the rotation but it's not there yet.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts