Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In low light or dark backstop the front sight disappears in the rear sight channel. What would you recommend to paint the front with that won't wear off from edc in a leather holster? Can that ramp be replaced by a gold bead or something similar?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
Hey Redeemed,

Welcome to S&W.

Like Jonesy says. Wipe it with acetone (nail polish remover). Hit it w/hair dryer/heat gun. Paint white. (use toothpick)

I like the "Day Glo Green" fishing lure paint. On top of the white paint.

If you are more talented, grind a spot in the front sight. Paint white. Then a drop of GOLD paint. (poor man's McGivern/Call Bead).

Later, Mark

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I used white out on my model 36.

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
It won't help to see the sights at night.....but I've used Revlon Red nail polish for 20 years. It works very well for fast sight acquisition in low light! Still use the same bottle, even though I have to 'touch up' a few times every year. It's very durable stuff. Bob

·
Registered
351 Posts
As a follow-up to Msharley’s comment – if you’re REAL talented, you could re-contour your existing front sight, putting a flat on the posterior side of the sight perpendicular to the barrel, drill a small hole in that flat, and then insert a brass or gold bead into that hole. The beads that I’ve seen have a very small stem under the bead itself. Since gold’s soft, I’d make the hole a snug fit, but not tight, and then use red Loctite in the hole when inserting the stem of the bead – it won’t fall out!!! That's what I'm contemplating . . . Regards.

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
OR......you could just install a Red Dot sight. It truly is amazing what it will do for your accuracy. My groups went from 4" at 50' to under 2" when I installed a fairly cheap $20 Tasco Red Dot. I bought a better Red dot for $70, but it doesn't make a difference in shooting, only in durability! It does not matter. You could buy 4 Tasco Red Dots, for $80!!!!!

You can ALWAYS see the lighted red dot! In low light.....it is hard to see the target, only. That is my personal experience....take it or leave it!!! Bob

·
Registered
2,094 Posts

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Needs to be touched up, but the day glo orange works for me. Nail polish, and,as said before, acetone first, then the color of your choice. I may have to try the white! Sorry about the trash in the floorboard. I don’t throw stuff out. Hank

299FDDE1-6DB1-4177-B878-3C2419C8CACF.jpeg

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Birchwood Casey makes different color paint pens. It goes on easy. Clean up the sight first. Inexpensive and seems to last. Easy touch-up if it doesn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts