Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you have a Bisley, they come with the 'rollmarked' cylinder, then you think of the "old way" gotta have the flutes, so what the heck, go for it.........now which one to keep and use (both the same caliber, .45Colt).......

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,055 Posts
You make is sound as though you can only keep one? If so, I'd probably stick with the unfluted. If you can keep them both, I'd keep the fluted one in and use it. Throw the unfluted back in the box and forget about it.

Have you shot them both? If so, notice any difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,681 Posts
They are both mighty handsome looking! It's nice to have 'em both, but I'd shoot the cylinder that lines up best with the bore and has the least Bbl./Cyl. gap without binding.

Contrary to what some folks think, unfluted cylinders on 6-shooters like Rugers and Colts aren't any stronger than the fluted ones. The cylinder weak spots are the bolt cuts over each cylinder, and they are the same for fluted or unfluted. Unfluted cylinders do add some weight and may theoretically reduce the recoil of a given load because of that extra weight.

xtm
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
xtimberman said:
They are both mighty handsome looking! It's nice to have 'em both, but I'd shoot the cylinder that lines up best with the bore and has the least Bbl./Cyl. gap without binding.

Contrary to what some folks think, unfluted cylinders on 6-shooters like Rugers and Colts aren't any stronger than the fluted ones. The cylinder weak spots are the bolt cuts over each cylinder, and they are the same for fluted or unfluted. Unfluted cylinders do add some weight and may theoretically reduce the recoil of a given load because of that extra weight.

xtm
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Unless, the unfluted cylinder is designed so that the bolt cuts are not over each chamber. Therefore making the unfluted-ness necessary. I talked to David Clements about this very issue when he was building my 5 shot 45 that "can" be loaded to near 454 levels.

My 3 cents FWIW...and I am not trying to be controversial.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,681 Posts
Henry Bowman said:
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Unless, the unfluted cylinder is designed so that the bolt cuts are not over each chamber. Therefore making the unfluted-ness necessary. I talked to David Clements about this very issue when he was building my 5 shot 45 that "can" be loaded to near 454 levels.

My 3 cents FWIW...and I am not trying to be controversial.
...a worthy 3 cents to add! I have no disagreement with you, Henry! :) I guess I just wasn't clear enough about referring to bolt cuts on 6-shot SAs. That's why I'm not so worried about loading up certain +P or even +P+ .38 Sp. loads in my S&W M-36 5-shooter. The bolt cuts are between the cylinder chambers.

xtm
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I hope those cylinder stop cuts don't weaken my 8 shot cylinder enough to make it crack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,681 Posts
Possum said:
I hope those cylinder stop cuts don't weaken my 8 shot cylinder enough to make it crack.
The actual process of mechanically making the bolt cuts doesn't weaken the cylinder. It's just that the thin metal remaining between the deepest part of the cuts and the bored cylinders are the weak spots. I have seen a revolver cylinder that was fired with overloaded cartridges with several bulges up into the cuts - where the fired cases had to be pounded out. He was a lucky fellow, IMO, because the whole cylinder could've split with catastrophic results. He was shooting handloads that some fellow at his office had given him.

I wouldn't worry at all about my 8-shot cylinder when shooting rounds with pressures within SAAMI pressure limits - just don't shoot any overloaded rounds!

xtm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,677 Posts
When Ruger came out with the superblack hawk they made it heavier and squared off the trigger guard so it would not hurt you and they added a unfluted cylinder for the weight. So I would think the unfluted would help in recoil on that to even though it dont look traditional.But that looks engraved like the bear cats. I would think useing the fluted one and keeping the unfluted one would keep the value of the gun up.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top