Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the new 9mm Shield EZ pistol fully backwards compatible with all the older Shield 9mm magazines?
I notice the new ones look a little different.

I either want to buy a spare OEM 8 rounder, or get a Proshield 10 round magazine for the range only.
(I'd only ever carry OEM mags)

-Mike

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
The guns are completely different as are the magazines. The Shield EZ was in my opinion named so in order to take advantage of the immense popularity of the original Shield line of guns. The Shield EZ has a completely different sized frame (somewhat larger), different barrel length (3.65") and a completely different firing mechanism, as it has an internal hammer and the real Shields are striker fired, and it has a grip safety.. I'm not saying its better or worse than the Shield, but the Shield EZ is different in many ways and only similar in appearance, name and manufacturer

·
Registered
1 Posts
So far love the 9mm ez shot 450 rounds through it so far and no hiccups .want to see how far I can take the ez before I have to clean..Any mag extenders even +1?Barrels interchangeable with other m&p?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far love the 9mm ez shot 450 rounds through it so far and no hiccups .want to see how far I can take the ez before I have to clean..Any mag extenders even +1?Barrels interchangeable with other m&p?

LAKELINELLC.COM HAS +1 EXTENDER. BUT YOU HAVE TO TAHE OUT THE LOAD ASSIST WHICH WILL ALSO CANCEL OUT LAST ROUND HOLD OPEN BECAUSE IT IS THE LITTLE ASSIST BUTTON THAT TRIGGERS LAST ROUND HOLD OPEN ON THIS FIREARM. ANY + EXTENDERS YOU FIND WILL BE THIS WAY BECAUSE OF THAT REASON

·
Registered
5 Posts
On the smith parts and mag section under the shield 9 ez it says those mags are compatible with the shield 9 m2.0.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Magazine wise seem similar, but the top is slightly different. I'm going to try and find one for hands on comparison.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Magazine wise seem similar, but the top is slightly different. I'm going to try and find one for hands on comparison.
What concerns me the most is the magazine catch slot. It is flared out on the EZ magazine and it is not for the original magazine. Seems like that wouldn't be for nothing. Please let me know how that works out. One thing I do know for sure is that you will lose the last round hold open. It is the load assist tab that triggers last round hold open on the EZ. But it is the follower that triggers last round hold open on the original

·
Registered
5 Posts
What concerns me the most is the magazine catch slot. It is flared out on the EZ magazine and it is not for the original magazine. Seems like that wouldn't be for nothing. Please let me know how that works out. One thing I do know for sure is that you will lose the last round hold open. It is the load assist tab that triggers last round hold open on the EZ. But it is the follower that triggers last round hold open on the original
The flare on the ez is not the problem and may fit into the m2.0. But the m2.0 mag is wider than the ez mag. If you look at the pictures above the ez has a channel the thumb tab slides down, that channel hold the mag tight in the well. Where as the m2.0 mag is typical and the hugs the well evenly. The EZ is actually narrower overall in the mag well.

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
The flare on the ez is not the problem and may fit into the m2.0. But the m2.0 mag is wider than the ez mag. If you look at the pictures above the ez has a channel the thumb tab slides down, that channel hold the mag tight in the well. Where as the m2.0 mag is typical and the hugs the well evenly. The EZ is actually narrower overall in the mag well.
Thanks for the pictures showing the differences

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both a shield 9mm and a 9mm EZ, the shield 9mm magazines will not even fit into the magwell of the 9mm EZ and the EZ magazine does not go into the shield 9mm properly, the easy load tabs catch on the magwell and the mag jams before it seats. Don't recommend trying it, took me several minutes to get it back out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts