Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this M&P 40 PRO SERIES from a pawn shop for 200.00 someone cut the grip to compact size ( and i will never understand why ) also did a garbage home stipple job. The slide is great the gun functions as is so I can pull the internals out and reinstall them in a new frame any info would be helpful

Attachments

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
The frame is the firearm, so IF you buy one, it would need to go through a FFL

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
The frame is considered a firearm, and most manufacturers will not sell a stripped frame.

Finding a used stripped frame for sale is next to impossible, and it would have to be handled the same as a complete firearm purchase.

Unlike Glock, I haven't seen any aftermarket frames for an M&P, realistically, I'm afraid you're stuck with it.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Which part has the serial #? Some of the new plastic guns the action inside is the serialized "receiver", not the plastic grip frame (my Sig 365 for example). If it's the insides a new grip frame from S&W should be easily available by mail. Or just use it as a beater carry gun.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I kinda thought that was the deal yes the serial number is on the frame not the internals like sigi guess I just have to buy another 40 with a trashed slide I could get a surplus leo trade and do the swap I would still have a pro series for about 450.00

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
Or sell this one and go buy a new one for about the same price. I bought my M&P 2.0 Compact for $349 new from Brownell's

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could but this is a pro series and I want to build a competition gun add a threaded barrel and compensator apex sear kit and trigger I could end up with a fine completion pistol if I buy a surplus leo 40 trade I can have the frame and always sell the slide and part out the internals of the leo frame and still come out on the cheap for a nice competition shooter

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
Okie Dokie, seems like the long way around to get the gun you want....

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Premium Member
10,715 Posts
As already mentioned, a number of newer polymer frame pistols are being manufactured with a "chassis" that is serialized, rather than the polymer frame itself.

The Ruger American is constructed that way. The serial number is only visible from it's rear.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True but not a smith. I am trying to build a fairly cheap S&W competition pistol I only do thing 3 ways good fast and cheap you can pick any 2 ...good and fast won't be cheap... Fast and cheap won't be good.... Good and cheap won't be fast errgo the long way to get the gun I want

1 - 11 of 11 Posts