Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This stuff is for sale locally in my area. Anybody care to hazard a guess on a reasonable price for all this stuff?

Thanks in advance for the help...

Redding Big Boss Press, Lyman Turbo Tumbler with several bags of media including walnut, RCBS RC-130 Scale, Lyman 49th Edition Reloading hand book, RCBS 17-45 Swager, (2) J-20 Case Cards Large Rifle, (2) J-20 Case Cards Small Rifle, about 250 once fired .223 cases, RCBS Shell holder #13, RCBS Bullet remover, (100) Sierra .30 cal .308 150gr. Spitzer Boat Tail Match Bullets #2125, (300) Sierra .30 cal .308 168gr. HPBT Match Bullets #2200, (400) Federal Large Rifle Primers #210, (2) RCBS Loading Docks, (1) 50 Case Card, RCBS Case Lube Pad and Lube, (289) # 7-1/2 Remington Primers, RCBS Powder Trickler, RCBS Hand Primer, 1/2 lb of Accurate #2230 Powder, 3/4 lb IMR 4895 Powder, 1/2 lb Winchester Ball Powder #748, Sealed bag of (100) Remington unprimed .308 cases, RCBS Pocket Swager Combo Primer # 9495, RCBS FL Die Set .223 Rem # 11101, RCBS FL Die Set .308 Win # 15501, (100) bullets Sierra 55gr Boat Tail #1390.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Alphonso,

Since the Obama Scare I don't see much used reloading equipment for sale. A couple of years ago I bought a complete, near new Deluxe RCBS Rock Chucker set from a pal of mine for $100. Not so today it seems.... Folks are either not selling or the stuff gets snapped up immediately. Suddenly self reliance has become far more important.

By my rough calculations, there's $600 worth of gear here at retail prices.

If you need and can use all of it, then I would guess you could save yourself some money and offer $300.

Looks like a pretty complete set up for .223 & .308 rifle.

Drew

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Drew.

I've got him down to $375. He claims to have paid $800 for the stuff. I'd part with the .308 items.

Will this equipment reload 9mm if I buy the proper dies and such?

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
How old is the powder and primers? Has the stuff been stored 'out in the garage' for a few years? If it's too old or has been left to the ravages of Mother Nature, ,,,,

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
You will be able to load your 9mm with this equipment for sure.
Dies should run your around $35 or so. I'm pretty sure the RCBS dies will fit your new press. Most presses use a standard thread sizing so it will be easy finding dies that will fit the press.
You can get RCBS dies anywhere quality firearms are sold.
Get the latest Speer and/or Hornady reloading manual and you should be in good shape to start. I'm not sure how you can check if the powder is any good or not.
Maybe one of the guys in the reloading section can help you find out.

Good luck and enjoy the new gadgets.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help gents.

I haven't decided yet, but I may get this stuff.

·
Registered
596 Posts
9mm,40 S&W 45 ACP, 223, and 308 all availible thru the service and civilian law enforcement. Never see the lines making this stuff shut down by the Obama government ,but everything else? My line of thinking says a guy needs firearms chambered for all these cartridges plus 2 more atleast, 22LR and 12 ga. 200,000,000 rds of 40 SW ordered in August by the dept of Homeland Security. Gee I wonder what they need that much for? @ $10 per 50 that is $40,000,000 in pistol ammo for a bunch of people who probably don't know one end of a pistol from the other. Casting equipment,primers by the sleave, powder by the 8# keg, as many empties as you can get your hands on for guns with no 4473's. Be prepared for the coming storm. It is not our right ,to dump the job on our kids. bobw

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Used reloading equipment can be a bargain - if and only if it is exactly what you want and need! All that equipment is top quality stuff, but I don't think $350 is a bargain - particularly since you're not interested in the .308 stuff. (I find it very hard to believe that he paid $800 for all that!) Unless you specifically want that big single-stage Redding press, I'd carefully consider the advice about the basic Dillon rig - or at least get a turret press. Both will speed things up a bit - and still be safe for a beginner. Once you get comfortable loading .223 and 9mm, you're going to want some reloading speed - it's easy to blast through a bunch of those cartridges. Buying reloading equipment isn't like "investing" in a firearm - it is an "investment" in expanding the scope of your shooting hobby and an "investment" in tools to lower your shooting costs. Best to save yourself money by buying the right tools the first go-round! JMO. :)

JMO, but the opened powder is worthless - who knows what's really in those cannisters? The .308 dies aren't worth much - you can buy like-new RCBS dies nearly all the time on the Cast Bullet forum for ~$15-20 shipped. Why buy all those bullets, brass, primers, and dies that you don't need - and then have to sell them for less than you paid? Prowl used gun shops and the cast bullet forum classifieds for deals on those small items like the scale and trickler once you decide on your basic rig. Many gun shops have boxes of used reloading gear from estate sales and trade-ins in the back room - and are happy to sell it off cheap.

xtm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts