Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this S&W model 3 at a gun auction a few months back. I haven't been able to find out much of anything about it. It shoots .38 S&W, and yes I've shot it and it shoots great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It sa ys Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass USA Patd Jan 24 65
July 11 65 Aug 24 69 Reissue July 25 71 May 11 81 Jan 5 82

Serial number is 3016XX

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
It appears to be a .38 Double Action 3rd Model nickel plated with mother of pearl grips. The third model was made from 1884 (119001) to 1895 (322770).

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Welcome, Ken.
Those old top-breaks are neat.
Just about the last link between the closing days of America's frontier and the newer, solid-frame evolution that followed.
And a hearty welcome to the forum, too! welcome01 welcome01
Don

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
ken_kaniff said:
What is something like this worth?
Well..... what someone would pay I guess....

But around here a flakey, renickled late 3rd Issue .38 with Fubar screws and worse grips would probably not bring more than $50.

But then again, I'm not really into these guns and up here, most other folks aren't either.

Drew

·
Registered
90 Posts
Only $50-$200? Even in bad shape I thought those might be so rare that they would be worth more. Could that be something that could be sent to S&W and refurbished? Or is it better to leave it as is?

·
Registered
570 Posts
well, not rare, there were a ton of them.....203,700 actually seiral # range between 119001-322700 between the dates of 1884-1895
the "book" lists prices from "as new" $750.00 to poor $60.00
here's a pic of mine to give you an idea of what the grips/stocks look like,,,,,, they should be hard rubber..

as for sending to to S&W i don't think they work on firearms that old anymore, on refurbishing, your probally going to find it's going to cost more than the actuall gun is worth,, best thing to do is try to clean it up the best you can, just to keep it from rusting..

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Smith & Wesson won't work on guns that are that old. Generally they don't like working on guns that are pre-1958.

If you look closely at the photographs you will see non-factory screws. This can be very bad news if the person that was so numb as to try and use a wood screw to hold their gun together cranked away destroying the threads.

Also, from the snapshots, it is more than likely that the gun is an old re nickel. The rounded edges and flaking pattern tends to support this.

With Fubar metal, bogus grips and go only knows bore and cylinder condition, $50 may be generous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts