Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited this revolver along with several other guns. I don't know a lot about it but my dad told me it was black power only and the cartridges had to be milled down as the present types are too long. The shell I tried was .160 too long to seat in the revolver.

It isn't marked but I think it is a .44. I have a used .44 casing and it fits very tight but a new one is a bit loose. The used brass I have was probably from my dads Ruger Black Hawk .44 magnum which has had a problem since it was new. spent brass is very hard to eject. My dad said it was because the bore of the revolver was not machined correctly and may have scoring making it hard to remove the spent shells. He made a nylon dowel he used to drive them out with.

Anyway this old S&W doesn't have the caliber stamped in it at all. Serial number is on the butt and is 23121 and the same is stamped on the back of the revolver.
it is a break away with a star wheel that pulls out the brass. It seems to be double action only. The hammer will not lock back it has to be pulled back by the trigger. There is no half cock safety. The wood grips are in poor condition and may not be the original. The brass screws holding the grips are not correct. The revolver seems quite loose. Dry firing it empty the revolver doesn't always lock into position for the next round. It gets stuck between rounds.

Dates stamped on the barrel are Jan 17&24 65. I would be pretty sure that is 1865. There is also more - July 11 65, AUG 24 69, July 25 71, DEC 2 79, May 11&25 1880

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

DSC00623.jpg

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Hi & welcome to the forums.
It looks like a 44 double action 1st model, possibly in .44 Russian.

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi & welcome to the forums.
It looks like a 44 double action 1st model, possibly in .44 Russian.
Thanks for the info.
What do you think about the revolver not locking into position securely all the time? Dangerous?
Is it worth anything or is it just a worn out piece of history?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
A well worn piece of history. It needs help from a professional gunsmith but most of them today won't want to bother with such a relic. Id keep it as is as the price to repair it will be more than the gun is worth.

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
Welcome, neat family heirloom!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
yep spud_.308 is right on. made between 1881 - 1913, yours is in the middle of the sn range... 44 russian is the most common chambering..

one of these in good condition is certainly shootable - you can buy 44 russian black powder rounds from places like Buffalo Arms.

it should lock-back in single action consistenly - so that is a wear thing as has been said. Parts are difficult to source.

Dangerous? Not having gun in hand - we would all advise having a professional look it over.

the gun as is, does have some value in auctions i have followed recently - projects go 500 and up depending on that is wrong, collectors will grab them for display or parts if not anything else.
Shooters go in the 1000 and up range, nice ones command whatever the traffic will will bear.

those grips are a hoot - the actual frame is a little bit smaller than a K-frame round- hardly noticeable , and the grip mounting pins close but not exact. I fit a pair of older stag grips to mine pretty easily.

Yours is in much better shape than most of the project guns i have seen -

cool pistola..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

I have several old rifles and a couple of shotguns with Damascus barrels and a double barrel with one barrel blown out the side. The story i got was it must have had dirt in it from the hike out and my grandpa’s best friend got the shrapnel in his leg.
I kind of have a hand me down problem. my only heirs live on the left coast and some of my hoard isn’t welcome there. I’m trying to get them to move as there are at least 4 generations in my collection and the 2 generations after me are left coast. I may have to leave some with friends rather than family. It’s a real problem for me.

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
Maybe you could leave them with your friends in an interim basis until those left coast folks move somewhere nicer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what i've been thinking too safe and all. It"s a big safe hope they have room for it. I had one guy I used to work with trying to get me to sell a couple to him but that's the last thing I want to do. I have a couple of cousins I haven't seen in over 50 years on the same side of the family the guns came from but as far as I know they are both left coast too.

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad you liked them. I'm afraid that's all that left of it is it's looks. It must have seen a lot of use as it has a lot of wear. Now it's a very heavy paper weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts