Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for info on these reloads.
Are these a standard load for 44 mag?

Or are these hot loads, or underpowered loads? I will be shooting out of a 1985 S&W 29-3

Female friend at work brother passed away. He was a gunsmith and reloaded his own ammo. I bought the gun from her, and she came across alot of ammo he had reloaded. Not sure if this is good for the revolver.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,303 Posts
I dont reload 44 magnum, but do other calibers. From info in my manuals it looks hot, but wait for someone who regularly loads 44 mag to speak up

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
He looks like he was very methodical in hos labeling so I would assume it to be correct for what is in there

44 Rem. Magnum240 gr cast LSWCSpeer1.6057.5CCI 300Unique7899
-​
44 Rem. Magnum250 gr cast (Keith)Speer1.717.5CCI 300Unique111,211
-​

Near the right side side you see a "7" on line 1 and an "11" on line 2. Those are Alliant's max charge weights. IF those bullets are hard cast like the Keith, then all is good as far as weight goes. I am not familiar with Acme bullets; perhaps someone else is.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Looks to be a Keith style with a hardness of 16:

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
10 grains of Unique is hot.... and dirty too. Think I'd pull them resize them (with the decap pin removed so as not to remove the primers and reload them.

I use Lil Gun myself in 44 reloads, sticking to a mid range load in my Hornady manual.

A 44 will handle 10 grains no issue but it won't be pleasant on your wrist.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I would not classify 10 grains as especially hot (it is above the max in my old Hornady book and below that in my even older Lyman manual ). I did not take the time to look it up online, but I have trusted Hodgdon's data. The 29 will be OK , but depending on hardness of the bullet, you may get leading. FYI, I load 8.5 grains on Unique in my 29c for a fairly comfortable load that shoots close to point of aim with my 240 JHP loads with 110. Enjoy that 29.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Since they are reloads and you don't know the quality or data on them i would not shoot them at all. Quality control is always an issue if you don't know the reloader .. Use caution i would pull the bullets and start over

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Since they are reloads and you don't know the quality or data on them i would not shoot them at all. Quality control is always an issue if you don't know the reloader .. Use caution i would pull the bullets and start over
HUH? He knows the EXACT data on them; this guy was a machinist/gunsmith; someone who would be ANAL about details and he took the time to type/print the labels with everything. I'd shoot them

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Like I said, pop the pills, dump the powder and size the cases minus the decapping pin as the primers are ok and it's Starline brass which is in my view just about the best available (next to Norma and Lapua but they don't swage handgun cases.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
10 grains of Unique is hot.... and dirty too. Think I'd pull them resize them (with the decap pin removed so as not to remove the primers and reload them.

I use Lil Gun myself in 44 reloads, sticking to a mid range load in my Hornady manual.

A 44 will handle 10 grains no issue but it won't be pleasant on your wrist.
Ditto all of that. I'd pull them down, not because they are too hot, but because they were loaded by someone I don't know and are at the upper end of the range. If the guy was really careful and meticulous they would be fine. But if he wasn't any one of them could destroy the gun.
Not that I can't make a mistake myself - I certainly can. But I at least know how hard I try to be very precise in my reloading and if I blow up a gun, then I can't blame anyone but myself.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
HUH? He knows the EXACT data on them; this guy was a machinist/gunsmith; someone who would be ANAL about details and he took the time to type/print the labels with everything. I'd shoot them
I must've missed the part about the reloader being a machinist. Where did it say that?
He is reported to have been a "gunsmith", but what does that mean? Bubba the gun butcher calls himself a gunsmith too - that doesn't mean he's any good at it.
Printing the labels on a computer is a nice touch and points towards someone who is at least attempting to do a good job, but I know a lot of people who are great with computers that I wouldn't even want handling a gun in my presence - much less loading ammo for MY guns.
If I don't know you and haven't actually WATCHED you do some reloading, I'm not shooting your reloads in my guns. No offense, but I only trust ME and the factory and a couple of my buddies for my ammo. All others need not apply.
Breaking them down and reloading them just isn't that big of a deal compared to possibly destroying a gun and/or possibly injuring yourself or someone else. Its basically getting the components for a little work in your spare time.
I guess it all boils down to how much risk you're comfortable with. Me, I don't gamble - because I'm not lucky. There is no question I have been blessed, but when it comes to what most people call "luck", I AIN'T got it.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, he was a lifelong gunsmith/machinist. Had his own shop, with all the fancy bells and whistles. I know his sister real well, and have had several people vouch for his abilities. I also know he loaded his own ammo for the guns he had, and it is his model 29 i bought. That being said i do tend to air on the side of caution, especially since it is leaning towards the hot side. You guys have provided me with alot of information and i thank you for that.
I do believe im going to try to get some of his reloading equipment off of her and see if i can get setup myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Two of my firm rules about reloading.
1. I never put other’s reloads in my guns.
2. I never put my reloads in other’s guns.

Making assumptions about what I cannot know can have unpredictable results.
Avoiding unpredictable results has kept my firearms and my body parts intact.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
When you disagree, it is best to remain silent, but I would shoot the ammo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts