Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to buy a 625JM or 625 5" depending on what i can get. I was wondering could i shoot .45 super through the same gun without any mods or issues?

Has anyone on the boards done so?

Reason for this question is that I may then try and get the gun to Africa to handgun hunt medium plains game like pigs, impala, blesbok etc.

any advice is more than welcome

thanks so much,TM

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have fired many rounds of .45 Super in my 625 without any problems. I have decided that I don't want to risk damaging the gun, so I no longer do so.
I really don't think a 625, even loaded with .45 Super is really up to African game. I would go with .44 Magnum/Hot .45 Colt as an absolute minimum for that use. .454 Casull/.460/480Ruger or .500 S&W would be better.
That said, I have no experience with African game. So take my recommendations for what they are worth. They are worth exactly what you paid. :D

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I think Lucky Derby has given some good advise. I have no experience with African game but a friend of mine made two hunts to Africa. During those hunts he shot the "Big Five" along with many other species.
He has shown me movies he made during those hunts in his private hunting lodge adorned with many of his African trophies as well as North American big game. The one point he drove home was this - He had never experienced anything like the vitality of African game in the North American game he had shot. I remember well his telling of taking his African Lion with a 300 Weatherby Magnum using solid point bullets. He tells of his guide saying the only reason the lion finally fell was from the weight of the number of bullets my friend put into it. . .Take this for what you think it is worth, good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I actually have plenty of african game experience, especially on plains game. I usually hunt with rifles, but I have experimented before with handguns and am comfortable hunting with anything in 44mag and above for animals like pigs and small antelope. We have a collection of rifles, shotguns and handguns in africa and already have 2 .357mags, a .45acp/super,.44mag( an N frame 29) and a x frame .500

I'm just trying to see if i can take my 625 on a jaunt with me for fun. It might be worth trying for a wartie or bushpig with 45 super or even straight 45acp. Since a friend has an older sti in 45acp/45 super, i might try and experiment or two on the next hunt if the situation is right and cart the 625 along on the sucess of that.....

thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In a 1911 45ACP can be shot in a 45 Super but not vice versa as the Super needs 2 recoil springs. Since the the cartridges fit identical chambers, I see no reason why they couldn't be interchanged in a 625. The only difference between the two is that the 45 Super is made with thicker walls to allow for the higher pressures of the cartridge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have shot blesbok a deer sized antelope and pigs with 44mag. No chances with the .357, though puff adder and mamba have gotten in the way of those before.

Ballistic tests have been done on a dead hippo which was felled by a 500 nitro express rifle. 45 penetrated about 3-4 inches (just through the skin and into the fat)....., 357 about 5-6 inches (into the fat pretty deep)and the .44 was deepest at 10-12 inches (it will get to muscle).

I am not an experienced handgun hunter, using mainly 30-06, 300 win mag and 416 rigby rifles to hunt eland, kudu, wildebeest, impala, ostrich and others.

Handgun hunting is just another fun thing to get into, although it won't replace a rifle I'm sure.

cheers, TM

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought of this before when the 45 super was just getting started in the 90's. I wrote S&W customer service and they replied it won't be a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts