Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my S&W 1911 PD but I don't like the shallow slide serrations.

Do you think S&W would sell me a 1911 E Series 5 inch slide and barrel? I'd like a current slide with the "fish scale" serrations.

*I have swapped the lowers between the Performance Center 4.25 inch and the Sc 4.25 inch and both worked fine.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
M&P, CSX
139 Posts
The 1911 PD is a 4.25 inch barrel. Commonly referred to as Commander size. Typically the dust cover on the frame of a Commander length 1911 is shorter than a 5 inch (Government/GI) model. A 5 inch barrel and slide on that frame would probably have a gap between the end of the dust cover and the slide. Not to mention potential fitting problems, there's no way to guarantee a new made slide would fit onto the PD without some measure of fitting (or on the opposite end of the spectrum being too loose).

My suggestion, if you're not happy with the slide, is to find another Commander length slide that you'd like. But caveat emptor - there's not a thing on a 1911 aside from springs that I would call 'drop in.' Mainspring housing? File to fit. Barrel? File to fit - and you better know what you're filing and why. Thumb safety and grip safety - see barrel. Sear and hammer - might drop in, will work best if fit properly. A new slide may - or may not - play well with the barrel that you've got fitted to your current set up.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 1911 PD is a 4.25 inch barrel. Commonly referred to as Commander size. Typically the dust cover on the frame of a Commander length 1911 is shorter than a 5 inch (Government/GI) model. A 5 inch barrel and slide on that frame would probably have a gap between the end of the dust cover and the slide. Not to mention potential fitting problems, there's no way to guarantee a new made slide would fit onto the PD without some measure of fitting (or on the opposite end of the spectrum being too loose).

My suggestion, if you're not happy with the slide, is to find another Commander length slide that you'd like. But caveat emptor - there's not a thing on a 1911 aside from springs that I would call 'drop in.' Mainspring housing? File to fit. Barrel? File to fit - and you better know what you're filing and why. Thumb safety and grip safety - see barrel. Sear and hammer - might drop in, will work best if fit properly. A new slide may - or may not - play well with the barrel that you've got fitted to your current set up.
Um, no. There were at least two versions of the S&W 1911 PD. One was indeed the Commander-sized you mention but another, I assume less popular, was a 5 incher. I've seen a few for sale on Gunbroker and one of those, I bought.

It is for this one, my 5 inch "GI" length version of the PD that I want to replace the slide with a fish-scaled slide serration version. I want to retain the scandium frame, flashlight rails, 5 inch barrel, but obtain fish scale slide serrations, solving my shallow slide serration problem.

So will S&W sell me just a slide and barrel?

·
Registered
M&P, CSX
139 Posts
I stand corrected, the 1911 PD that came up in search was archived as a Commander. I didn't see a GI option, hence the reply. You could try calling S&W. Worst they could do is say no.

·
Registered
M&P, CSX
139 Posts
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie - when I was building my most recent pistol I was kinda scrounging around for a S&W slide. I'm kinda digging the external extractor and the fish scales. But I didn't see one at the usual parts houses and didn't think to actually give S&W a call to see if there was a means to procure one from them. If you get hold of them, let us know! That would be a useful piece of information.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I no longer think I need a more aggressive set of slide serrations but those 1911TA slides (all black) do look pretty cool. I'll try and call next week.

Will post results of the call.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts