Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I wouldn't. The 9mm pressure is 34084 psi, whereas the .357 magnum is 35000 psi, so that's not the issue. If it were meant to be, it would be relatively common knowledge, like .38 special in a gun chambered for .357 magnum, or .40 S&W in a REVOLVER chambered for 10mm. Just mu opinion of course.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would never be a regular thing

I would only do it when there was no other choice in ammo....just want to be a flexible as possible..I do fire 38 spl out of it about 50% of the time...just make sure I clean it well and right after range time. I just shoot my M-65 enough to keep sharp...it is carried far more than shot. Just thinking of worst case issues....is it possible to use the 9mm if I had to without doing damage to my pistol.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
You would have a head space problem / the 9mm rim plus the moon clip would thicker than the rim thickness of the .357 / 38 special. You would have to turn the back of the cylinder. You would probably have to ream the chambers to take the tapered 9mm cartridge. Not a huge problem but you could not go back to the 357 Magnum.

·
Super Moderator
20,134 Posts
I'm still kind of new at this so I will apologize in advance if I'm making waves here.
We hear about shooters wanting to use ammo not designed for their guns quite a bit, and nobody seems to give an opinion about that choice.
I'm not intending to sound like a know it all or smart Alec, but guns are meant to shoot a specific caliber of ammo with their design and we all know that.
If I'm out of line here let me know.
The forum is for opinions on ocassion as well as accurate facts all the time as needed.

So here is just another opinion!
Why not just buy a 9mm handgun if you want to shoot off the 9mm ammo - you can get one on the cheap if you look around enough. Or get some .357 ammo for the handgun you already have.
Ammo isn't all that expensive and you can get it just about anywhere now.
And, it's always cool to buy another gun.
You can get some target or cowboy loads if you want lower pressures and velocities for less recoil and noise. But the 9mm is almost equivilent in it's design to the .357 as mentioned in the earlier post.
The .357 isn't anything to take lightly but I would never even think about shooting anything but .357 ammo out of one. You can get used to the noise and recoil pretty quick. Even using .38 special or the +P causes issues with cleaning and cylinder wear in the .357. I imagine it would certainly be much worse with the 9 mm casing size difference. You can get some 125 Gr. soft points and shoot all day with them compared to the 158's or 180's.
Doesn't it just defeat the purpose of the gun or ammo design if you use anything other than what was built for the guns intent?
Just sharing some of my thoughts, for what they're worth.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
9mm out of m-65 with moon clips??

I was just checking on it..I figured there would be some issue...but you never know if you do not ask..thanks for everyone's reply's. I will stick with 357 mag ammo...save the 38's for my next S&W which I plan to get a model 60 or 649 in 38 spl....was looking at a model 38 air weight yesterday...pinned bbl about 95% plus on the finish..grips mint..$300..may go for it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
As stated before the big thing is you need a gap at the back of the cylinder to accommodate a moon clip as 9mm is rimless, and 9mm is a tapered cartridge, so you would have to make a custom cylinder for 9mm.

Also note that a 9mm bullet is .355 vs 38/357 which are .357. the 9mm would fire in a custom cylinder but would most likely not give "optimum" accuracy.

Someone was making conversions for 357 black hawks some time ago that would let them shoot all kinds of different ammo (38, 357, 9mm, 380, and other 9mm based rounds). It always struck me as an interesting concept, but in reality it would be better to just have multiple guns.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I guess I am missing something upstairs, as I've never understood the attraction of the 9mm thru a revolver at all. Smith, Ruger, etc. I am even more puzzled when I see a proposal like this one, wouldn't it be better to just buy one of the 9mm Smith revolvers? What is it, I think a 547?
I am not trying to poke fun at you, please don't think I am, I am just curious why you would want to ruin a 65 in this fashion. Why spend the money converting when you don't really even know what the results would be, or if it would be done well? I would conclude you want it for a CCW/defense gun, so I don't see any problem accepting a fixed sight 547 instead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Geoff40 said:
I guess I am missing something upstairs, as I've never understood the attraction of the 9mm thru a revolver at all. Smith, Ruger, etc. I am even more puzzled when I see a proposal like this one, wouldn't it be better to just buy one of the 9mm Smith revolvers? What is it, I think a 547?
I am not trying to poke fun at you, please don't think I am, I am just curious why you would want to ruin a 65 in this fashion. Why spend the money converting when you don't really even know what the results would be, or if it would be done well? I would conclude you want it for a CCW/defense gun, so I don't see any problem accepting a fixed sight 547 instead.
I understand what he is going for... He wants a "shtf" "bug out" type gun that will shoot as many kinds of ammo he might come across later down the line as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand what he is going for... He wants a "shtf" "bug out" type gun that will shoot as many kinds of ammo he might come across later down the line as possible.
It still amazes me that few people still don't understand, is what makes American Ingunuity ? Where can you buy a 9mm caliber Revolver in 3/2013 ? Before Sandy Hook, 9mm where plentiful and cheap easlily a $12 a box of 50, .38 special where $18 . A day at the range you could save $24 easily. Not everyone is Rich in the U.S. of A . So along comes and individual wanting to have it his way, so another American say's" I'll fufill that need . Cyliders can be exchanged in your revolver pretty quickly and easily done . The .002/.003 clearance difference on the lead will not effect the accuracy as much as "others" state that it will (they never actually shot one,just here say) So I plan to , but have not yet recieved my "FFL to Manufacture".

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Well for one thing the bullet diameters of 9mm are .355 to .356 depending on the type of bullet. The diameter of .357 bullets are .357 to .359 again depending of the type of bullet. So with that being said you would have an awful lot of blow by around the bullet as it travels down the barrel.
As far as the brass is concerned the 9mm uses tapered brass .380 at the bullet end and .391 at the base. .357 brass is straight wall .379.

With this being said I would not recommend it. JMHO

Reactions: DocZeus

·
Registered
22,116 Posts
I once worked for a Navy Arms subsidiary called "Classic Arms'. My boss couldn't find any 9mm. ammo in Palmer,MA. so he used some .38 Spl.. We fired the 'MAMBA' 9 mm. with the .38 ammo without a problem. I guess .....'close enough' works sometimes! Bob

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Yeah it can be done. But, just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should. To properly machine and fit a cylinder to a Smith isn't exactly easy, especially if you want it done right. And once you did, you'd find why it isn't common, and it wouldn't accomplish much. Unless someone just wants to cause it'd be neat, I'd stick to the performance I can get out of the original loading. Just my two cents worth (1 after taxes).

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
To my knowledge this has been tackled at least twice. FN (I think Astra made them) marketed the Barracuda and a South African outfit called Muscgrave sold dual capable revolvers but with two cylinders for the reasons stated. As Cutlass stated you are still left with .355s coming out of a .357 barrel. People, some here have been pushing .452 down .454 and .357 through .361 for years and at short to moderate ranges.

A number of .454s were shaved (cylinder rear) to accomodate .45 ACP (.452) in moon clips. In the Depression with the Brits dumping WWI Colt and S&Ws on the surplus market it made sense. Later converted Webleys are plain dangerous.

Also, I know of 5-shot 9mm clips. Are there 6's?

·
Super Moderator
20,134 Posts
For a semi-auto pistol the solution is easy. Get a convertible 9mm/357 Sig or a 9mm/38 Super. A simple barrel swap and you're good to go.
There are so many pistol conversion kits available now you have dozens of choices without breaking the bank
In a revolver, Ruger makes 4 or 5 differnet conversion kits. I have a 9mm/357. There is the 22 LR/22 Mag or the 45 LC/45 ACP as well. I just saw a new conversion Blackhawk today. It's a 38-40/10mm convertible. Now that's going to be one heck of a shooter, no doubt.
S&W has the 22LR/22 Jet convertible. Even though it's about as impracticle a combination possible.

Too much to choose from and not enough money for all of them. What a quandry.

~gearchecker~

Reactions: DocZeus
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.