Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey S,

Welcome to :bluelogo:

Way to go! Pics of a fine "Long Action 5 Screw"...on your first post!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome to the friendly forum. Military & Police Model (M&P) made 1940-45, after 1957 re-named Model 10. Yours has aftermarket grips. I can't read the side of the barrel but probably says it's a .38 S&W, some were reamed out to chamber .38 Special (can be checked by looking in the chamber to see if there's 2 steps instead of 1). Although generally safe it wasn't a great idea.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
The side of the barrel just says Smith and Wesson. It doesn't have any caliber.

Can you explain 2 steps instead of 1?
The right side of the barrel should state the caliber.....................a better picture would reveal more.

The "steps" Injunbro is referring to is inside of the 6 cylinder holes.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
The side of the barrel just says Smith and Wesson. It doesn't have any caliber.

Can you explain 2 steps instead of 1?

Look in one of the chambers, there will be a ring or step, a .38 S&W reamed out to .38 special will have 2. .38 S&W is shorter & slightly wider than .38 Special. Some aftermarket shops reamed them out for the more popular round after WWII. Cases often split when fired.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Personally, I would prefer if it wasn't reamed out to shoot .38 Special.........as Injunbro mentioned, it wasn't a good idea.

If it were my gun, I'd only shoot .38 S&W cartridges out of it (even if .38 Special will fit).

It should be checked out by a gun smith to make sure it is in shoot able condition (likely is).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts