Smith And Wesson Forums banner

can anyone identify this upper receiver???

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  gunhacker 
#1 ·
Trigger

bought gun supposed to be a brand new colt ce1000 expanse m4 carbine everything appears to be new I have just never seen this on an upper and i have a few colts, also every ce1000 expanse ive seen online does not have this mark. barrel looks like the right barrel but is marked 5.56 NATO 1/7 P instead of 5.56 NATO 1/7 C P like the other expanse ce1000 models. just want to make sure i didnt get taken advantage of

See less See more
#2 ·
Mike,
I hate to ask this, but have you posted this over on the Colt Forum? The members there would certainly be familiar with Colt's forging marks.
Hopefully somebody here can answer your question, but just in case the Colt guys should know for sure.

#10 · (Edited)
If NEW, i would think you can go back to the FFL and have him produce paper on its source.
If he got it from a distributor . . .CALL them!
Send Pix and S/N to Colt and have them verify!

If he FFL won't cooperate, what does your paperwork say?
Does it say COLT?
From private sale?
From LGS
From online auction?
ya don't have to admit anything here . . . . just some thoughts for tracking.nvonjvilanvonjvila

#17 · (Edited)
Maybe the old Colt... these days, who knows in their current reincarnation.

But over the years Colt used many forges, Alco, Alcoa, Harvey Aluminum, Kaiser Aluminum, Mueller Brass, Martin Marietta... and usually on Colt AR's there are 2 markings, a "C" (Colt) and the forge marking of who made it.

I have a Colt 6700 Sporter HBAR bought brand new in 1992... sealed Colt box until the dealer opened it to get the S/N for the BATF form 4473, and it has no markings on the upper. But I also have a Colt 6830 Sporter Carbine bought NIB in 1993 that is marked "C" and "AF" (Alcoa Forge).

So just like S&W, "never" and "always" can not be taken absolute.

#16 · (Edited)
Unless someone recognizes it, it is going to be a needle in a haystack... I thought the marking looked like a scorpion, checked the website below, they list a scorpion tactical, the website has their pictures protected so I could not save one to zoom in on the upper receiver marking for a match.

On the rear lug of the upper that the take down pin goes through, do you see any markings on it? If there is a C on it, that would signify that Colt did the final machining of a forged upper they sourced and used it in the final assembly.

Posting your pic on AR15.com and hoping someone there recognizes it is probably your best chance, otherwise this website shows what you're up against in figuring out who that forge mark belongs to - AR-15 Manufacturers List ? Deployment Essentials

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.