Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
They were produced from 1948 to 1978.

Is it model marked? If not, and since its not a five screw frame, it was made in 1978 as a "clean up" run utilizing all remaining parts.

Its known as the Post Office model due to the USPO using it as a trainer. It was also used by the US Coast Guard and several police departments.

An interesting S&W trivia fact. The Model 45 is a .22 caliber. The Model 22 is a .45 caliber.

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
Man... you guys are GOOD!!!! Is this on a "N" frame? What characteristics differentiate it from, say, a K-22 pre 17? Fixed sight? Ejector rod shroud?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Man... you guys are GOOD!!!! Is this on a "N" frame? What characteristics differentiate it from, say, a K-22 pre 17? Fixed sight? Ejector rod shroud?
No, its a K frame. Copy of the M&P, later Model 10. Fixed sights, no ejector shroud. Most were four inch, but a few were made in six inch for the US Coast Guard. The USPS guns were marked as such on the back strap. Urban legion is that most of them were destroyed or are locked away in USPS vaults. Very few of the original guns made their way into the open market. Speculation is that there were about 1500 manufactured. In 1978 135 frames were found in the factory and built out and sold on the open market.

The K22 is a target gun, with target sights. This is a fixed sight M&P, made at the request of the US Postal Service as a trainer for their armed agents (now Postal Inspectors). Little known trivia, at one time some mail carriers were actually armed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were produced from 1948 to 1978.

Is it model marked? If not, and since its not a five screw frame, it was made in 1978 as a "clean up" run utilizing all remaining parts.

Its known as the Post Office model due to the USPO using it as a trainer. It was also used by the US Coast Guard and several police departments.

An interesting S&W trivia fact. The Model 45 is a .22 caliber. The Model 22 is a .45 caliber.
Not model marked and is a 4 screw. According to Jinks, shipped in 6-1958. No parts serialized except for the PC stocks.
It is in fact a M&P 22. # C 407568. No Post Office markings. No markings at all. I will send for a letter shortly.
While not rare, they are hard to find, and usually very expensive. Thanks, Big Larry

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Could be a former Coast Guard or police trainer OR an overrun that was sold commercially. S&W started model marking guns around the end of 1957, but that gun could have been in the vault awhile before it was shipped. I have a five screw, non-model marked, pre-27 that was shipped in October of 1958. The only thing in stone about S&W is that NOTHING is in stone about S&W.

You have an extremely desirable gun, that any serious collector would pay dearly for. Enjoy it.

When they made only about 1500 total of them from 1948 to 1978 and many/most of the earlier ones were never released to the public, that is one iteration that is getting close to rare status. Hard to determine condition on one photo, but I would hazard a guess of a value north of $2500 and probably higher, condition dependent. Have you seen the one that S&W had engraved and sold many years ago? Its on the large on line auction sight for north of $15K.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be a former Coast Guard or police trainer OR an overrun that was sold commercially. S&W started model marking guns around the end of 1957, but that gun could have been in the vault awhile before it was shipped. I have a five screw, non-model marked, pre-27 that was shipped in October of 1958. The only thing in stone about S&W is that NOTHING is in stone about S&W.

You have an extremely desirable gun, that any serious collector would pay dearly for. Enjoy it.

When they made only about 1500 total of them from 1948 to 1978 and many/most of the earlier ones were never released to the public, that is one iteration that is getting close to rare status. Hard to determine condition on one photo, but I would hazard a guess of a value north of $2500 and probably higher, condition dependent. Have you seen the one that S&W had engraved and sold many years ago? Its on the large on line auction sight for north of $15K.
I bought this gun at a Cabelas. It had been shipped to New York and the person in NY paid $25 for the option of buying it. Figuring the person in NY was buying the gun, I gave up. Couple days later I received a call from Cabelas saying the gun was available. Evidently the person in NY didn't like what he saw. It is about a 98% gun and I paid around $2,000 shipped for it. I collect 22's of all types and manufacturers. I have over 100 22 rifles and handguns.
I too have a pre M27 5 screw from around 1956 or 1957. Best S&W deal I ever made. I am into it for $75.
I will letter this gun, but I have others to letter as well. Thanks, Big Larry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.