Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather just gave me his dads .38 revolver. I can’t seem to find any decent information about it and can’t seem to pull the right numbered off the gun either. Can anyone help em out with some info (age, history, if it can still be fired or not)

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Welcome from Iowa.
I really don't know much about this model but it appears to be a .38 Double Action 5th Model.
It's probably worth about $300.
You can shoot it but only with standard velocity ammo.
Jim

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It's a 38 Double Action, 4th Model from around 1909. The grips should be black hard rubber. You can still find them on eBay. If the action is good, you can shoot modern smokeless .38 S&W (not special) in it.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Hey Derek,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go! Pics of yesteryear's Family Heirloom.........right out the gate!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It's a 38 Double Action, 4th Model from around 1909. The grips should be black hard rubber. You can still find them on eBay. If the action is good, you can shoot modern smokeless .38 S&W (not special) in it.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Didn’t expect such a quick response either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybee you could help me with this next one as well. I don’t even know where to start with it. All I know is it’s a cap and ball revolver.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
281 Posts
What does it say on top of the barrel? It looks close to a Whitney but not quite.

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

fine present from your Grandfather!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts