Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The number you want is on the bottom of the butt. Looks like an early Military and Police. The cutting away of the hammer was to facilitate drawing from a pocket. The front of the trigger guard was for easy access to the trigger. It was the product of John Fitzgerald. He mostly worked on Colt revolvers.
Somebody else probably did the work on it. It was quite a popular modification back in the day.
Jim

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
$150 would be at the high end of value. It's a .38 Regulation Police from the late 'teens/ early '20's. Too bad Bubba got to it. :(

And it's .38 s&w, not .38 Special.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$150 would be at the high end of value. It's a .38 Regulation Police from the late 'teens/ early '20's. Too bad Bubba got to it. :(
I’m not looking to get the bargain of the century, but I’m trying not to over pay too terribly much. I bought him in 1906 last month and he loves it for the history and can’t wait to see where the paperwork comes back on it.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I’m not looking to get the bargain of the century, but I’m trying not to over pay too terribly much. I bought him in 1906 last month and he loves it for the history and can’t wait to see where the paperwork comes back on it.
Maybe it's a personal quirk but I avoid "modified" (and I'm being nice) guns. $150 got me this nice re-nickled M&P a few years back at my LGS.

YMMV, but I'd skip the Fitz.

·
Premium Member
18,605 Posts
I believe it is a .32 Regulation Police from 1919. The serial seems to be a 6 digit which would not be correct for a .38. Also, the location of the cylinder stop notches is between the flutes indicating a 6 shot. Someone has butchered it with a Fitz modification. Based on the condition I see, it isn't worth $150 and I recommend letting it go.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I believe it is a .32 Regulation Police from 1919. The serial seems to be a 6 digit which would not be correct for a .38. Also, the location of the cylinder stop notches is between the flutes indicating a 6 shot. Someone has butchered it with a Fitz modification. Based on the condition I see, it isn't worth $150 and I recommend letting it go.
Guy nails it. Not seeing the 6th digit threw me off. In any event, skip this one, you can get a better gun for that money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts