Smith And Wesson Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Beautiful spread there. Looks like it checks all the right boxes. Wishing you many happy and healthy years to enjoy it.
Thanks! It's kind of shocking how many boxes it did in fact check for us. We looked at over 200 log homes in Tennessee online over the course of 14 months. Looking literally every single day. When this one popped up, we jumped on it!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing your plans. Very nice, and very tastefully decorated!
You are blessed to live in such a beautiful place, so enjoy every day as if it is your last.
I hope to retire in 3 years, and if I can, it will be 7 years earlier than uncle sam has planned. Kind of depends on the way things go in our country over the next 3 years, and how much money I have left after the current idiots get through with the economy.
Happy retirement to you, and your wife!
I hope your retirement goes well, as planned, and works out well for you! We are indeed blessed and fortunate and lucky, all rolled into one!

·
Super Moderator
11,265 Posts
It's okay. She was the president of theater in high school and loved English. She graduated summa cum laude with her degree in high school English and was hired at her high school. She now teaches English and theater and has been in charge of the school plays/musicals (or what they've been allowed to do, due to the virus). She has a career set and has all her friends in Illinois. We'll visit her often!
Hi Buddy. So nice to see the updated pics and to hear how Lauren is doing.

Lost in the woods... Hopefully.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Man, I am happy for you and jealous at the same time! Our current goal is similar, but centered more towards East Tennessee, as that’s where I lived before I left for the Navy back in ‘83. It’s tough right now because those that are considerably more well to do can afford to buy a house in that area based off of Zillow pics alone, and fix any overlooked items with a sack full of “big city paycheck” money, and so they can act much quicker when they see their dream home. Discouraging, but we’re not giving up, Virginia is nearly irreversibly blue now, and I’ll not stay here another day past necessity.

·
Super Moderator
34,005 Posts
Thanks Wendy! Lightning Lauren hit the 8" steel plate at 335 yard with her first shot from my Sig Sauer 516 Patrol Rifle! She was surprised, but I wasn't! She's still got it!
What I find just fun but a where did the years go? Is remembering her and pictures from when I joined here and she was just still a child and now such a beautiful young lady!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Sweet mate, love TN.

Thewelshm

Reactions: jeepnut and mm6mm6

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry I haven't been around as much lately folks! My wife and I bought a log cabin in West Tennessee to escape the state of Illinois. I've been retired now for over 3 years and Robin retires in 3 more months. We are going to sell our home of 26 years and move full time to the cabin.

I've been spending a lot of time there with limited internet use and working on the cabin. I am most proud of finishing the basement. It is my gun room. We keep pinching ourselves that we found this slice of heaven. I am amazed at how perfect it has been for us. Even the unfinished basement allowed me to make it into what I always dreamed of having!

I have my own pistol range with steel reactive targets and a 335 yard rifle range. Hunting for deer and turkeys is plentiful and shooting beavers on our lake (destructive big rodents!) and armadillos keeps me busy.

So here's some photos and I am so thankful for this new life in rural Tennessee that we are already enjoying and look forward to going full time shortly!

Me and our log cabin! We added the barn pulleys and galvanized pales for flowers and the milk can/wash tub.
View attachment 500544

The view of the garage, the cabin (with sunroom and sundeck), the pavilion, and the boat house from the north side of the lake.

View attachment 500545

The view from our trolling motor fishing boat out on the lake, looking back at the cabin:

View attachment 500547
Jack Daniels whiskey barrel table where we eat meals under the pavilion on the lake:
View attachment 500548
View attachment 500549
View attachment 500550
Robin driving our Polaris Ranger. We have just under 100 acres of fields and thick woods, pine woods, the lake, two ponds, a deep ravine, and a big creek.
View attachment 500551
Swimming in the lake:
View attachment 500552
Sunset reflection to the east from the front yard:
View attachment 500553
You are living in a piece of heaven. Happy for you!
God bless you and yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a great place on a great piece of land! Thanks for the beautiful pictures. We did a similar thing, spending 22 years on Active Duty in the Army and moving all around the world, then settling in at my last duty station where I was offered a very good civil servant position at the same Agency where my wife worked. I spent another 18 years there before being forced to retire on disability from Gulf War Illness in 2010. My wife took an early retirement in 2014 and we moved back to Norman, Oklahoma. That's where I was going to school (University of Oklahoma) when Uncle Sam invited me to join his Army.

So it took like 44 years to get back to where I started, left without a degree at all but came back with a doctorate. Still feel at home - close to my Mom and my favorite sister and her husband and son. Not too far away from all my high school classmates and where they've settled in retirement, most by the different lakes here in Oklahoma, and only about a five minute drive from the stadium where my beloved Sooners play football, basketball, baseball, softball, and all their other championship sports! Season tix are more expensive now than they were as a student, but that's what we have Social Security checks for, right?

Forgive my musings here, but seemed like the right place and time for them.

Dave

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
That's a little bit-o-heaven, Steve. I'm happy for you and the family. Taking care of it would be a pleasure. A labor of love, so to speak.
I did notice that the gun cabinet looked a little empty. Guess they were all in use at the time! 😉

John

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ha! I keep my guns in the big Hot Rod Burgundy safe, but I have had my grandfather's wood and glass cabinet filled with Marlin lever actions and Colt Single Action Army revolvers. Only when I have the proper guests over though!

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
That is plumb spectacular!!! Enjoy!

Reactions: mm6mm6

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good to see that you're still going to come here to my post and make your negative comments applying your life to mine. You commented negatively two years ago when we bought the place and now you have to comment again about what a mistake YOU think WE made when you know nothing about us. Please don't comment on my posts anymore. I don't need the negativity from you. I will never understand negative people like you who feel the need to inject your negative opinions.
Couldn’t agree and like your comment any more. Wish the like button had a X10 on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 55 of 55 Posts