Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Gang...
This week I got both Cabelas and Midway's 'shooters catalogs'.
What a difference!
Midway filled their pages with all kinds of accessories and other stuff, and their usual, extensive listing of ammunition was...GONE !
Cabelas, on the other hand, has expanded their ammunition section WAY over the past catalog.
Interestingly, the last ammo I bought from Cabelas actually arrived in one week!
Price-wise, it doesn't look a whole lot different than last time.
I think the reports are true...the market has finally caught up.
Now, I wonder what deal is with Midway? kljng; kljng;
Don

·
Registered
182 Posts
My first guess would be tons of backorders. I've done business with both companies for decades, and both are upstanding folk.

G

·
Thinkin' that the market has been catching up. Managed to buy primers again and at near normal pricing. Bought some Winchester SP primers at KTP last night, for $2.50 per 100. Plenty of ammo there. Seems like powders are catching up too!

The only thing changing is that the Black Guns are going back down to normal prices. Think that rush is over. Hi-Cap pistols and mags are showing up again in the used racks. Wouldn't be surprising to see their prices drop for awhile...doesn't look like a new AWB is coming anytime soon.

Stopped into a Cabela's store last night and they seem to be getting supplies in again. Maybe it's just Maine that this is happening, but it's good to see it turning around...

giz

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I used to order from Midway exclusively. That was until I got sick of the backorder/shipping charge policy. At Midway when you place an order and some of the items are in stock and some are backordered, you pay two shipping fees. I think that is foolish. If I place a $200 order and a $40 set of dies are back ordered, I should not have to pay another $13 shipping fee to ship the BO item. It isn't my fault it is not in stock.

If my entire order isn't in stock at Midway, I don't order from them at all.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent point, cush...
I got sick of their 'small order shipping cost' and the backorder b.s. as well.
Nice, family-owned company with strong NRA roots,
BUT...
I won't tolerate gouging from any business.
Don
:oops:

·
Registered
28 Posts
No AWB anytime soon. It was comforting to see that 58 senators voted to pass the reciprocity carry bill, even though 60 were required.
The anti-gun zealots celebrated this temporary victory, but it can't be comforting to them to realize that the prospects for taking the offense against firearm ownership is dismal.
This more than anything will help end the insanity of the disappearing ammo game.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I just got off the phone a short time ago with the only guy I know who I think really knows what is going on across America. He owns a fair sized reloading company that is all but shut down because he can't get the components he needs. The reload man who 2 years ago always had hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo in stock in many calibers has about 5,000 rounds put aside for a gun show in 4 weeks, which he hopes to double in the meantime.
What he told me tonight is that this situation started a couple of years ago when some of the NATO countries stopped making their own ammo, and started getting supplied by other NATO members. Then at the same time other NATO countries that still make ammo stopped exporting it to the US market. In a response to this, first the Bush administration, followed soon by the Obama administration asked the US ammo makers-Remington, Federal, and the others-to focus on supplying the US Military with ammo, or supplying the components to make it. Wanting to stay in the good graces of our 'guv, they agreed.
Thus this ammo shortage, thus the component shortage. He used to order primers in the 6 figure quantity at a time, but he can't get them. The Hooksett NH dealer that some here know, which had primers a week ago, has sold out of small pistol primers, and their large pistol primers and the rest will soon follow. But, they ordered a million of them, and got a small fraction of that just to keep them going in the meantime. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for them to get more.
Cabelas has ammo now, because they are the largest commercial buyer of ammo in America, and so they are starting to get supplied with surplus again. But generally the rest of them/us are going to have to wait a while longer, about the first of the year ought to see things starting to improve significantly.
His message to everyone is to buy what you need to shoot, but to stop hoarding large amounts of ammo and components. he's actually had several people in recent months approach him and tell him they had 100,000 rounds in their personal stash and wanted to know if he had 10,000 rounds...I won't try and post what he said his response to these folks is.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I've been dealing with Midway for 25 years and have only high praise for them.
As far as ammo availability , here in Ohio our gun shops have all the popular calibers stacked to the ceiling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.