Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I’m loading some 380acp for the EZ and the max col I can feed is .966. So I’ve set my dies or should be set to seat at .960. The kicker is when I mic the finished rounds I get any where from .952-.963. What gives? Is it the bullet maybe? Lee classic turret. Lee 3 die set. Spent a lot of time on them last night with the plunk test, mag feeding test, and a mic. The rounds all feed but that col is crazy. My 357 magnums hav a variance of .003+/-

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Hey R,

If your seating die is clean, check the seating stem. Is it the correct shape for the bullet being used? There may be a difference in the ogive of the bullet, as compared to the seater.

I have filled the seating stem in with JB Weld, and sanded smooth, for certain types of bullets.

Hope this helps.

By the way......

Welcome to :bluelogo:

Later, Mark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! The seating stem seems to fit well and tonight while loading it was way more consistent...for some reason. Maybe I wasn’t repeating the process well enough last night but I will double check the seating die for cleanliness and stem for fitment

·
Registered
620 Posts
My first thought was to get a comparator set, so you can measure to the ogive vs the overall length.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012738158?pid=348740

You could also measure a few bullets to check for consistency.

Finally, if your powder is compressed it could be pushing the bullet up a little after seating. Are you crimping after seating?

Hector

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
Are you using mixed headstamp brass? I load on the same press with a Lee 4 die set. I found my variance in cartridge OAL was cut in half by sorting and loading batches by headstamp

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I am a reloader -- I make safe ammo. A handloader makes safe ammo but takes extra measures to hold unrealistic tolerances and levels of "cleanliness".

Your ammo is safe to fire without worrying about ±0.008" tolerance on COL or OAL. Your pistol can't tell the difference. Crimp diameter and case length are more important for achieving a consistent crimp on rimless cases (9 MM, 380 ACP, 40 S&W, 45 ACP).

Reactions: Rule3

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Are you using mixed headstamp brass? I load on the same press with a Lee 4 die set. I found my variance in cartridge OAL was cut in half by sorting and loading batches by headstamp
The length of the actual brass or trim length does not change the COL (cartridge length) Only were the crimp ends up if there is a crimp

As mentioned if all the rounds plunk fine, all is well. It's not a bench rest rifle.
Variance in the bullet may. To lose more sleep try measuring the bullets and make separate piles of them:D;)

.008 +/- is not gonna matter. If the OP squeezes the calipers hard he can probably make the variance go up or down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts