Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while window shopping I came across a colt SAA 44wcf for sale. After looking at it and looking through my paper work later I realize that I owned it years ago. So here it is for sale at 1895.00 and I asked what would you take for it? She says what are you thinking and I say I don't want to make you angry so how about 1500.00. She looks in her puter and says okay but with sales tax 1590. I say let me think about it and will decide on monday and she says I'll be here all day Monday. Good. I'm leaning towards buying it. What do you all think? The price in today's market is good and the gun is still in 98% with the box and paper work. Should I or not enablers? Ammo is a B**ch too find.

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
Hey 36,

You know you want NEED IT!

You always wanted a caliber to learn to reload for....

A Lee Press. Set of Dies.. Some Universal Clays/Unique, and the unobtainable Primers...

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
13,676 Posts
Why did you sell it in the first place?

If you needed the money then, and have the money now, and want it... just do it.

If you didn't like it enough in the past, will you like it better now?

·
Registered
5,424 Posts

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I must have sold it 10 years ago to buy another gun I wanted at the time. Ammo is nowhere to be found except some John Wayne 44-40 Commemorative ammo I found in another LGS but 84.00 per box ($1.7 per round) o_O and they have 3 boxes. The LGS owner has had these boxes for some years now and maybe we can reach a deal? It is a seller's market right now but I don't know if I want to pull the trigger for the gun and the ammo.The gun is a fair price but no ammo and no reloading supplies. This shortage sucks.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
About the only ammo my lgs has left is 44-40....some 7.62x39...some 17hrm..some Tokarev..some makarov and some older military european numbered stuff. Slim pickins! I actually sold off most of my 45 Colt revolvers to raise some money (I need a short block/engine..) and chose them because they are the ones I had NO ammo for. I do have two 45 Colts left,but one is BP only and the other I'll never shoot so does not matter.

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
I must have sold it 10 years ago to buy another gun I wanted at the time. Ammo is nowhere to be found except some John Wayne 44-40 Commemorative ammo I found in another LGS but 84.00 per box ($1.7 per round) o_O and they have 3 boxes. The LGS owner has had these boxes for some years now and maybe we can reach a deal? It is a seller's market right now but I don't know if I want to pull the trigger for the gun and the ammo.The gun is a fair price but no ammo and no reloading supplies. This shortage sucks.
Keep looking around. Found some trades locally for dies and primers that were pretty much even. Never know where you will find something.There are still honest people out there not trying to scalp and make a fortune. Good luck finding it.At Least with 3 boxes of ammo will have some empties to reload.

·
Registered
19,399 Posts
Just think I have 15 pounds of Unique in the armory.... and really nothing to use it in..... :p

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
There's a fella up in Lewistown that has three boxes of 44-40 for sale on the Pennswood classified
website. Black Hills 50 ct boxes for $40 a box.
I've noticed, for the most part, that the odd ball rifle and handgun ammo hasn't been affected by the insanity of late. It's the common fodder that is sky high: 9mm, 38/357mag, 40, 45 ACP, 223, 308 and etc. The big exception is 44 Magnum. I guess all the new gun buyers shy away for the big bad boy. 😉 Have seen some of this at good prices.
The older calibers, ones that are always hard to find, are usually reasonable at the shows. Last Gettysburg show I bought three boxes of loaded 32-40 for $75.

John

·
Registered
19,399 Posts
Like 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5 x 284 is available but not 338 Lapua, well it is if you want to pony up 7 bucks a pop for Privi-Partisan, which in my opinion from using it is on par with Wolf 7.62 steel cased AK junk. Years ago I actually purchased 100 loaded rounds of 338 Lapua Privi and it was junk. In fact I complained so much that the US distributor refunded my money. Told them I'd send it back, told me they didn't want it so I pulled all of them and reloaded the sized and annealed brass (Privi) uses Norma brass. Interestingly, no 2 rounds were the same. Propellant weights were all over the place as were the actual propellant and the bullets were all different too.

Some were boat tail, some were flat base and others had cannelures and some didn't. They all went into the scrap box. I decapped all the cases and reprepped them and reloaded all of them with 250 grain Bergers with 100 grains of H1000 and Federal Large Rifle Magnum Match primers.

In my opinion, anyone buying Privi factory loaded ammo is asking for very inconsistent downrange performance. Maybe their smaller caliber stuff is ok, but I don't want to find out.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay okay I went back too take another look and owner said 1545.00 that's 45.00 less than Saturday. So I bought it. Pics too follow in a new thread. Colt SAA from 2007 with 4 3/4" barrel, blue and CC, 44 wcf. The Colt is 98% with box and papers. On GB they are around $2000.00 and up. Like I said I sold it 10 years ago and I don't think it's been fired since I owned it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts