Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing heroic here - just a couple of intruders and the result of them getting into the attic ahead of the latest arctic blast. The visiting cats alerted us to their presence and a PO'd Mrs. xtm sent me up there after 'em.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
xtm,

Know would be an excellent time to save that skinning link from the old forum :) ...

Well done, did you use subsonics or standard velocity rounds inside the house :lol:

giz

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
I would have used the 12 gauge :lol:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said, nothing heroic - I used shot cartridges :lol: the old-timey ones with the crimped brass ends. I was walking around on ceiling joists with a revolver in one hand while hanging onto rafters and my Surefire flashlight with the other - so I needed all the help I could get!

Since I took that photo, I nailed two more before finding their entrance and closing that up today. 4 shots , 4 Squirrels - DA at that, too. Even the puny 22LR shot cartridges are very effective at close range - usually there's one jump after you shoot at the head and they're D.O.A.

Believe it or not, we've got a large female bobcat that is currently roaming the neighborhood, and I left all four out on my picnic table for her - gone the next day! I like her around. She and the coyotes feed off of the outdoor housecats. :roll:

xtm

·
Registered
415 Posts
Gizamo said:
xtm,

Know would be an excellent time to save that skinning link from the old forum :) ...

Well done, did you use subsonics or standard velocity rounds inside the house :lol:

giz
Actually, just lay them on the stomachs cut between dirt button and base of the tail(all the way through the tail bone) step on tail while working fingers under skin left on legs and pull. Whole thing come off with one tug. Take out the entrails and remove the head and feet and your ready to wash them up.
Sharp paring knife with point can be used to remove shot from meat.
Steve

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Interesting way to solve a rodent problem, shot shells are very useful.

My friend had bats in his barn rafters, the droppings were bothersome. He tried B-B guns and finally 22 shorts. He was convinced the bats sensed the projectile coming and dodged it.

My K-22 loaded with 22 shot shells put an end to the bat problem. After shooting a few the remainder sought new quarters.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting that this thread has re-emerged after over a year of living at the bottom of the pile! :)

I closed up all of their possible entrances to the attic - but the little ba$#%&*$ wouldn't give up trying to get into the warm house. This fall, just before I fired up the wood stove for the first time, a pair of 'em fell down the 6" flue and into the empty firebox. They were unable to climb back up the flue, so they succumbed to two more of the crimped shot cartridges - and I can report that they do absolutely no damage to the insides of a Vermont Castings stove or stainless steel flue pipe.

Last December, I had another pair slide down the flue - but this time, they landed in a bed of ashes and coals - the squealing was something straight out of those Gremlins movies! I debated letting them slow roast, but Mrs. xtm would have no part of that - so they also succumbed to the fine #12 shot. This was trickier because they were perched at the back of the stove on top of the internal flue - a couple of quick-and-lethal DA shots before they leap out the door and into the house! Again, no damage to the stove internals. ;)

Interestingly, these weren't mated pairs - all four were large adult male fox squirrels. Rogue gay males kicked out of the squirrel community? :lol:

xtm

·
Registered
19,798 Posts
What was the saying they had for snipers???? One shot.....One kill!!!! Hot Shot!!!! Bob

·
Super Moderator
19,377 Posts
Have you put a squirrel cage on the flue end cap yet?
Sure beats shooting inside the house. Is the Bobcat still around?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds to me that xtim has no interest in closing it up. Seems like he has too much fun "managing" the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts