Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My elder(ly) brother is getting to where working the slide on a 1911 is not as easy as it used to be. I have suggested a Browning HiPower, a 1917, 9mm 1911, etc but he insists on a 45 ACP 1911!

I seem to remember somewhere in the past an extended bushing compensator that could be used to cylce the slide by pressing down on a hard surface. Can anyone point me toward it? I tried searching and asked on a 1911 forum but got a lot of different advice on how to work the slide.

Insert loaded magazine, place comp on hard surface, push. Slide goes back, cartridge feeds, release pressure, slide runs forward.

Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Barrel bushing compensators are available from Brownells and MidwayUSA. Another option would be new sights that are designed so that the rear sight can be pressed against the edge of a table.

In the dusty recesses of my brain, I recall that a person had to monkey with recoil springs to get the slide to work properly with the compensator.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the problem that he doesn't keep it cocked and locked? Maybe he should think about a DA/SA 45?

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-97-bd-45-acp-black-aluminum-grips-3-dot-tritium-night-sights-10-rd-mags/
Not really sure what his issue is. I can still work the slide and so can he. Maybe he is planning for a future date when he cannot work the slide? As for a DA/SA, probably not even going to be considered. He refuses to consider a 1917! Only a 1911 in 45 ACP. I have suggested a 9mm, 1911. NO!

So, maybe I can find the bushing I remember or maybe he will just have to "deal with it".

Kevin

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
To properly feed a round the slide should be released and allowed to slam home,,,, while pointing in a safe direction. A slow release as detailed may work , but it might not.

Bluntly put , If he cannot work the slide reliably he is not safe with it or protected by it. nvonjvila

He needs a different gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts