Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I bought a nice 1956 vintage K22 Masterpiece. It came with a target hammer and a nice set of non relieved
walnut target stocks. Now, it does not fit into a standard K22 gold box. I have sent for a letter to confirm or deny the originality of the stocks. If in fact, the letter shows that they are factory, what kind of box were these shipped in? I have a 38 Combat Masterpiece that was factory shipped with target hammer and unrelieved walnut target stocks, and it was put in a gold box for a 6" K22, and relabeled.
I realize that very few K22's were shipped with target stocks. The new owners just took the magnas off, and chucked them for custom or Goodyear stocks. Same with most all "K" frame target revolvers.
Anyone know for sure what the target stocks equipped revolvers were shipped in? Thanks, Big Larry
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
573 Posts
I can’t answer your question, but, can offer this.....

Nice....very nice! Did I mention....nice! Congratulations on a super firearm! memtb

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Big Larry, according to Roy Jinks the factory shipped special order target stocks on guns in whatever box they could find that fit before 1956. However, in 1955, the Blue shipping box was introduced that came in several depths to accommodate differing stocks. It is likely your gun shipped in 1956 in a 5 tab blue box with a white paste on label. The tabs are counted on the metal reinforcing strips on the box corners.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Hey BL,

Very fine revolver!! (y)

I've learned! Yes Sir! When ever I look at one of your threads (with the KOOLEST REVOLVERS) I jes cover the keyboard! :LOL:

Later, Mark

Reactions: 45acp230

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,963 Posts
...Anyone know for sure what the target stocks equipped revolvers were shipped in? Thanks, Big Larry View attachment 498649
That is a very nice post-war in perfect condition. I am 100% jealous.

If the box matched the gun, you are a very guy (I'd like the gun period.)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. If the letter comes back that the stocks shipped with the revolver, I will make it my quest to find an original shipping box. If not, I will get some round top Magnas and switch the stocks out and find a correct box for it. Thanks again. Big Larry ( Collector).

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big Larry, according to Roy Jinks the factory shipped special order target stocks on guns in whatever box they could find that fit before 1956. However, in 1955, the Blue shipping box was introduced that came in several depths to accommodate differing stocks. It is likely your gun shipped in 1956 in a 5 tab blue box with a white paste on label. The tabs are counted on the metal reinforcing strips on the box corners.
Hi Guy. I have several post war gold and blue boxes. My K22 gold has the exact same measurements as my M48 silver line blue box. However, my later M48 8 3/8" box is quite deeper. My early Combat Magnum is the same depth as the K22, but my later M19-0 is much deeper. If the K22 I have letters with the target stocks, this will be a problem as I collect most of my guns with their boxes, and I prefer matching numbered stocks too. I have a .38 Combat Masterpiece from 11-1953 shipped to Rex Firearms in the exact configuration as the K22, so I am hoping it will letter the same. Thanks, Big Larry

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beautiful revolver Larry, if you decide to swap out the stocks I’ll gladly take those old ratty targets off your hands....;)
I also have a set on my 38 Combat Masterpiece. It is NIB and letters with target hammer and walnut target stocks.
Also, I have a spare pair. The unrelieved walnut targets are a bit hard to find. No way want to sell them. Thanks, Big Larry

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I bought a Model 19 that shipped with the target stocks off the gun, wrapped in tissue (IIRC) but in the box with the gun. The blue (two piece) box top wouldn't fit with the grips on the gun.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that fairly often.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a Model 19 that shipped with the target stocks off the gun, wrapped in tissue (IIRC) but in the box with the gun. The blue (two piece) box top wouldn't fit with the grips on the gun.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that fairly often.
Interesting, as both my pre M19 and M19-0 both shipped with the stocks on in silver line blue boxes. Thanks for your input. Actually the pre M19 was shipped in a box that was over labeled Combat Magnum Bright finish. Not going to take the label off either. Big Larry

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Smith and Wesson never throws anything away. They've been known to use whatever kind of box they happen to have laying around.

The gun I'm talking about was a -4, which came with the bigger target stock. At least they had more flair at the base. It's possible the older target stocks, like the diamond targets I've got on a couple of my guns would have fit, where the "newer" ones from the 70's-80's didn't. I guess I bought that one I was talking about in 79 or 80. It was the first handgun I ever bought. I remember the guy in the gun shop putting them on for me. I'd have probably been too dumb then to figure it out myself. :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Smith and Wesson never throws anything away. They've been known to use whatever kind of box they happen to have laying around.

The gun I'm talking about was a -4, which came with the bigger target stock. At least they had more flair at the base. It's possible the older target stocks, like the diamond targets I've got on a couple of my guns would have fit, where the "newer" ones from the 70's-80's didn't. I guess I bought that one I was talking about in 79 or 80. It was the first handgun I ever bought. I remember the guy in the gun shop putting them on for me. I'd have probably been too dumb then to figure it out myself. :)
Very hard to say what box actually came with a gun from S&W. I have several over label boxes in my collection. Supposedly, if a gun was not expected to sell well, they would put these in a box and attach a paper label. Both my pre 15 and pre 18 are in K22 6" boxes, and over labeled. Supposedly they also put a wooden block in these, but I have never seen one. A mystery that needs to be solved. Thanks, Big Larry

·
Registered
954 Posts
Question: It is my understanding that guns of that era had the serial number of the gun either written or stamped on the inside of the right stock. If that is the case would not the OP’s gun be likewise?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Only the magna stocks were numbered on the right stock. They had stamped numbers. Some, and I mean very few, target stocks for the pre M19 Combat Magnum, were numbered, usually, a number from a different revolver. Big Larry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts