Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post here, and starting off with a some related questions.

I picked up an M&P 10, but have found that it is a CA Compliant model, while my state doesn't require this.

I have seen posts indicating that S&W Customer Support will provide a replacement standard mag release button, and also one indicating they won't. I'll be calling them in the morning when they open.

Some questions on this I hope that your collective knowledge can help me with:

• Has anyone had recent experience with getting SW to provide a replacement for the button that they can share?
  • I know CA also has had a 10 round mag limit - is it the case that that is just what the law required, and not a technical limitation, so once I get the button issue resolved, I won't have issues with use of standard mags?
  • If SW won't provide a replacement button (even knowing that I am not in or near CA), can I buy a simple standard AR-15 mag release kit like this one to replace the bullet button? AR-Stoner Mag Release Assembly AR-15 LR-308 Matte). I have seen how to remove the BB, but am not sure if the M&P10 will accept a standard AR15 mag release kit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
19,294 Posts
It is strictly a legislative issue. You can swap out the bullet button and use any capacity mag you want as long as your state allows them.

Here's the simple way. Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeVrHFsLVw0

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, gearchecker.

Any idea if the mp10 will take a standard AR-15 mag button/release kit? From my reading, I see that much of the lower is standard AR-15, but the picture changes around the magwell (which is where the button is) and then there's the ambi nature of what comes with the M&P 10.

·
Super Moderator
19,294 Posts
It is my understanding that the mag and bolt releases are the same for both AR15 and AR10.
If I am wrong somebody will be by shortly to refute this.
The AR15 and AR10 are so similar in design for good reason. Bot rifles will be familiar to anybody that uses them regularly.
Some parts are interchangeable for cost saving reasons as well.

I wish you well in this reversion to the design as intended.
~Gregory~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, gearchecker.

I just spoke to S&W customer service, and am surprised and upset to find that the representative claimed that they will not provide me with the suitable parts despite my being in another state. This is contrary to a number of posts I have seen on the web, and I've asked a Customer Service Manager to call me when they have a moment. This is very dismaying, and - if this is not corrected - I will return this M&P10 and not purchase further S&W products of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, this issue is resolved -- I put a standard AR15 mag release in place and it works fine. But I have another problem... so will create a new thread. I hope I get to shoot this thing some day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts