Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The British SAS (Special Air Service) is a well-known elite military unit, it recently adopted the MP9 - the fully automatic version of the TP-9...

Highlights from a article at handgunsmag.com...
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_han ... G_1207_07/

DS Arms, Inc. of Barrington, Illinois, imports the Swiss-built TP-9 from the manufacturer, Brugger & Thomet. In 2004, it introduced the MP9, which it describes as a compact, lightweight submachine gun that is perfect for personal protection and self-defense. The gun's design follows Steyr's TMP with a few minor improvements to the frame and sights, although the gun is essentially the same.

The semiautomatic TP-9 has an interesting recoil operated, rotating barrel, locked breech action that is machined on state-of-the-art CNC equipment from 4140 steel. Upon firing, recoil drives the bolt and the barrel to the rear as one unit--which is locked together via lugs on the bolt that engage eight splines on the barrel--while a locking pin at the top of the barrel guide rides in a control cam cut in the barrel

This cam, or groove, follows a precise curve, and once the bolt and barrel have moved to the rear about a quarter inch, the barrel begins to rotate clockwise about 15 degrees. This action unlocks the bolt and allows it to travel the rest of the way to the rear, where it extracts the spent brass and carries it to the extraction point. Then it cocks the hammer, reverses course, strips a fresh round from the magazine and feeds it into the chamber.

The TP-9 is equipped with an ambidextrous polymer charging handle, which is located at the rear of the polymer top cover. The top cover also supports the adjustable rear notch sight and a front post, and a Picatinny rail runs the length of the top cover for mounting scopes or other optics.

giz

·
Registered
10,917 Posts
looks like a Glock, completley 'tacticaled out',,,,,,,,,. Not my cup of tea, but I have about zero intrest in an AR,,,,,,,,,,, or AK {had one, sold it to get my Ruger Red Label}

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Dude, your just all over the place with what you end up with!!

I never would have expected you to pick up something like it. May be a tactical black powder gun ;) .

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I think the cold weather is getting to his bones, the one between his ears! Gezzzz Giz, whats up with that wierd looking thing!!??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a little bit country, It's a little bit Rock&Roll... :mrgreen:

Wait until I bring this to the next steel plate shoot at the club. Thinkin' of mounting a Red Dot on it and shooting it from the sling. ;)

Actually, it is a pretty decent gun, very well made, and I wanted to see if it could be made to perform. My gut tells me with a little tweaking, this might be a pretty interesting platform for 9mm. It has all the hallmarks of a accurate handgun that is built to run on 30 round mags. Reliability would be assured by the platforms adoption by SAS. It takes down easily. Would be a heck of a bug-out gun...

giz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts